Problems with ammo for a S&W .357...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went down to H&H to blow off some steam and blast something...Had a box of .357 to shoot...Loaded up and pulled the trigger and bam, then click, click, click, click and click..5 misfires...checked the ammo and all had the small dent in the primer...putem back in and no go..got a box of 38 spec and shot them all but one...When I checked out I ask the guy there about it and showed him the 14 rounds that had not fired...He took a rental gun, a S&W 686 .357 and went in the range and all fired...I have a S&W 686 SSR pro series and the trigger was worked on in this model so he said the hammer strikes lighter on this one, has a really smooth action, so I should use a different brand of ammo..I was using this stuff I got at the grand opening of Heartland Outdoors, PMC eRange. Made in Korea..He said I should use only Federal stuff, like blazer, american eagle etc...Anyone have a similar experience? Kinda ticked off about this because if I had to use it in self defense and all I got was clicks, might have been tense from then on...

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like they lightened up the mainspring when they did the trigger work. You can go back to the original (recommended) or use Federal ammo as suggested. And shoot a few boxes of those to make sure.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like they lightened up the mainspring when they did the trigger work. You can go back to the original (recommended) or use Federal ammo as suggested. And shoot a few boxes of those to make sure.

I didn't have any trigger work done myself..It came that way out of the box. Apparantly the Pro Series has that done at the factory....Gonna try the Federal ammo....

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't have any trigger work done myself..It came that way out of the box. Apparantly the Pro Series has that done at the factory....Gonna try the Federal ammo....
:scratch:

Check that tension screw like 12ga said. You shouldn't be forced to Federal's on a factory gun. If the strain screw is tight I would give S&W a call.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the small screw on the exterior of the right side of the gun? Just next to the right side grip or do I need to take off the grips? If it is that screw, its tight alright.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the small screw on the exterior of the right side of the gun? Just next to the right side grip or do I need to take off the grips? If it is that screw, its tight alright.
Take off the grips. It's towards the bottom of the grip frame about where your grip hand little finger rests (under it) when shooting the gun.

If it's loose you might take it out and put a dab of BLUE locktite on it. Screw it all the way in till it's bottomed up good and snug. You don't have to torque it like crazy, it's not a bolt, it's just a screw.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take off the grips. It's towards the bottom of the grip frame about where your grip hand little finger rests (under it) when shooting the gun.

If it's loose you might take it out and put a dab of BLUE locktite on it. Screw it all the way in till it's bottomed up good and snug. You don't have to torque it like crazy, it's not a bolt, it's just a screw.

thanks...