What do you guys load for your SOCOM and SCOUT M1A rifles???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figure with the price of loaded ammo for the .308/ 7.632x51mm being so high that I will reload it. What bullet weights, powder and primers are you guys using? Should I stay in the 147-150 gr or move on up to the 168 gr projectiles? What about primers, does the M1A ave the same slam fire problems as the M1 Garand?

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a reloader, but I do know the M1A is capable of the slam fire. Saw it happen to another shooter and he was shooting Federal ammo. I do know that CCI makes primers for military loads, both in 30 cal and 556.

CBnL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have to double check but a lot of the (147 or 150 gr) that are military surplus are the copper clad steel jacket projectiles that many say can cause excessive wear on barrels. Personally, I can't comment on the ware issue.
I tend to load up all my own for my socom II and ar-10's and I use Hornady's 168 gr BTHP (M) projectiles... I've tried both those and the ballistic tip ones and found that in a semi-auto the ballistic tip can get deformed when chambered so I've stuck with HP's.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ya, the M1A has that huge floating firing pin (no firing pin retracting spring) so use those CCI mil spec primers and be sure they are fully seated. Stay in the powder burn range of IMR 4895 and IMR 4064, they create the port pressures the rifle was designed for. Avoid maximum loads, stay close to mil-spec as possible. The 147-150g. projectiles will be fine, the 168g. may or may not shoot, depends on your rifles' preference. The usual twist rate for a std. M1A is 1-12

Latest posts

Top Bottom