ak-47 saiga question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
guys, I have heard that some sks rifles have gone off on their own, or went full auto beacause of the style of firing pin in them, I am buying an AK and was wondering if they operate on the same style of firing pin? have they ever been known to have these same problems?

just wondering, I am about to go pick up a converted saiga.

hk33

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The firing pin on an SKS is not the problem, but anyway an AK has a completely different fire control group. It is not a problem with an AK

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reason the SKS "slam-fires" sometimes is because people fail to clean their bolt/firing pin out when they get it. The firing pin didn't originally have a spring to force it back after each shot, so with a build-up of grease from storage they can get stuck and fire every time the bolt closes.

It's easy to fix, get a dang spring.

All of my Saigas have spring loaded firing pins, but I'm not sure about older versions. I would assume they all have the same feature.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both an SKS and an AK47. With the slam fire it is fairly easy to predict. When you handle the gun before firing just shake it real good. You should be able to hear a rattling sound coming from the bolt and bolt carrier. That is a good sign. With out that rattle you have the possibility of the slam fire.

If your still unconformable with the possibility of a slamfire check outMurray's firing pins. They sell a the spring loaded firing pin to completely take care of the problem.

Although I have no experience with a Saiga. I have a WASR 10. They are both good guns. Pick the one that you like and go with. Both have good and bads. Just have fun.

cheech_029

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get the Saiga, which I recommend you do, I found that installing the bullet guide was helpful too. It helps feed properly and makes using standard AK mags possible (with some mag catch filing).

You can pick them up thru dinzagarms or other places online.

You can't really go wrong with a Saiga, or any other decent AK for that matter. If you really want to make one nice, click on that logo below BobAsh's post.

JoshT

New to the site!
Reaction score
If you get the Saiga, which I recommend you do, I found that installing the bullet guide was helpful too. It helps feed properly and makes using standard AK mags possible (with some mag catch filing).

You can pick them up thru dinzagarms or other places online.

You can't really go wrong with a Saiga, or any other decent AK for that matter. If you really want to make one nice, click on that logo below BobAsh's post.

+1

I cant stand to see unconverted Saiga's its almost sad. lol

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
look at k-var. They have arsenal's on sale. Don't know that you can buy, convert, and your time any cheaper. 500 dollars. not a bad deal.
thanks
daddy-o

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
guys, I have heard that some sks rifles have gone off on their own, or went full auto beacause of the style of firing pin in them, I am buying an AK and was wondering if they operate on the same style of firing pin? have they ever been known to have these same problems?

just wondering, I am about to go pick up a converted saiga.

this had a lot to do with chinese sks's and the fact you could put the firing pin in upside down making it a fixed pin. You let the bolt fly home and it would run thru the whole mag uncontrollably full-auto.
DON"T TRY IT! I've seen what it can do and you will get yourself or someone else KILLED!

Latest posts

Top Bottom