What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have all discussed the merits/shortcomings of using any kind of shot in our self defense shotguns, as that at ranges in the house, the shot will not expand much more than 2".
I bought a Taurus Judge and did a field report on it. I noticed that at 3-7 yds it had a large pattern, which is the range inside of a home.

I have to assume that it is because of the rifling making the shot sling outside of its normal pattern.

I don't have a rifled barrel for any of my shotguns, but I think it would be a great experiment to see what the pattern at 3-7 yds using a rifled barrel would be vs a smoothbore using the same load?

Anybody out there willing to shoot a couple of rounds, and give us a field report? If it works out the way I suspect, we may have found a new SD for use inside the home. Large pattern, at short range:D

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my only question is why do you want to spred the pattern that much? i mean i see the point, but for its intended purpose i would rather have a concentrated pattern rather that putting holes in and all around the intruder. Plus why not just use a judge. They have a newer version now thats compensated with a high vis front sight which is pretty cool. And you can load it up with all kinds of 3" crazy .410 loads with 00 buck or even slugs, and be a whole lot more manueverable than a shotgun could ever be.

Still an interesting idea though and would like to see what happens.

starpacker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the Judge. The pattern spreds more at the short distence because of the short barrel, not much longer than the shell. Also much easier to store, get to, and use in inclosed spaces, unless you train "A LOT" IMHO
You can also load slugs, 45 long colt, buckshot or field load, very versitile.
Bill

Latest posts

Top Bottom