Handi-Rifle (pistol calibers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fella's what kind of groups should I expect from one of the handi-rifles in one of the pistol calibers (357,44 Mag) and just being me and never satified with off the shelf I wonder if one of the 357 handi-rifles could be rechambered to 357 Max? you thoughts would be great but real world experience would be a huge help! Later,

Kirk

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not know about the pistol calibers but the rifle calibers usually get around 3/4" at 100 yards. And I don't see why it could not be chambered to 357 max.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather not dump the money into a rifle that will be thrown into the truck and rattled around plus I really don't like the contenders, I'll stick with my bolt guns I build but just looking for something that shot good and didn't break the bank to purchase, for the cost of the contender I could get the handi and a decent scope and still be able to purchase a box of rounds for it, just want to get the most bang for he buck :) Later,

Kirk

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep rent a reamer for a 357 max take out the extractor & ream until the rim cutter on the extractor touches the chamber & yer done. Did a 44 mag to 445 balistics just shy of a 444 marlin. My 357 handi will take .360 brass & is stock not reamed shoots good I have a peep & fire sight on it fun little gun. Some have done their 45 colt to 454 & 460's.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a few of the Handi Rifles. None in pistol calibers though. I've had .223 bull bbl, .243 std bbl, .270, and 45/70. All have shot 1-1/2" groups or better. I handload so I've not shot any factory ammo through them. I could get the .223 to shoot 1/2" at 100yds and the 45/70 to clover leaf 330gr cast LFP at 100yds. If you shoot from a bench, and use a rest, put the rest behind the forearm just ahead of the trigger guard.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
45 colt to 460! you evil evil man you! now why did you go off and say such a thing? now my little brain cell is just jumping with excitment but with what I have planned for this little rifle I beleive the 357 Max would be more than I would really need but then I didn't know they made the handi in 45 colt. I'm just looking for a pardon the term cheap brush gun for some of these little deer around home, I've got my long range stuff for when I go out West but a 284 Win with 26" barrel shooting 162gr. A-Max at these little deer up close would not be a pretty sight.

GUN DOG I might have to bug you a little more if you wouldn't mind, especially about the 45 to 460 :-) Later,

Kirk

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kirk,

Before you go & ream anything I would make sure you have a high pressure frame. They have an SB1 shotgun & SB2 high pressure 270 etc. es

Some 357's were put on SB1's the new one I think are not too sure. Give H&R a call with your serial # & they will tell you if it is a high pressure frame or not. Use to have quite a few handies but have let some go over the last couple of years. Still like the pistol cal's 357 & 45 colt do not have a 44 went 45 route. 30-30 in a handi can be very rewarding you can use pointy boolits in them. Nos BT work great because the do not get pushed as hasrd in a 30-30. This is the rifle my son shot his 1st deer with using a 125 gr & h4895 shot a 131 yrds so it will always be in the safe.

If you have a high presure frame you can send the frame in & have any rifle, pistol or shotgun barrel adde except 10ga & 12 ultra hunter (on 10ga frame) I think

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

looks like the 45 colt barrel is no longer availible?? wasn't out for long

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see they offer a 500SW barrel and for $90 that's cheaper than I can get a blank for my bolt rifle builds! Since you seem to know a little about these do you know if anyone can work the trigger down to an acceptable working range? I know the ones I have shot the triggers are not all that great. Thanks for the info on the receivers I didn't know they had 2 different pressure frames thanks that's good to know! Later,

Kirk

Latest posts

Top Bottom