Hammered? Or hammerless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to hijack Bulbboy's thread, I decided to start a new one. :respect:

By now, everybody here has heard me talk about coach guns. Yes, I still want one. And up until about an hour or so ago, I was dead set on which one I was gonna get. I had planned on the Remington SPR220.

ai49.photobucket.com_albums_f284_kevinmichaeldick_RemingtonSPR220Cowboy.jpg

Well...I screwed up. :rolleyes2 I stopped by one of my local toy stores on the way to work today just to pick up a simple box of ammo. As I was about to leave, stupid me looks over at the shotgun rack and lo and behold there sits a Stoeger Coach Gun. :w000t:

[Broken External Image]

Now I've never owned a double barrelled scattergun in my life, so I don't know if the Remington is better than the Stoeger or not. I DO know that scattergun folks "in the know" say that the Stoeger is the epitome of what a good coach gun should be. Being made by Benelli, that may be true. They look like the same exact scattergun to me, just the hammer issue.

Be that as it may, I fondled the little shotty and yes, it is a sweet little shotgun. The only thing is it's lack of hammers. Some like them/some don't. I personally think it adds to the beauty and heritage of the coach gun.

What say you? Should I go with the Remington with it's double hammers? Or get the hammerless Stoeger?

Both are relatively the same price and both are brand new in the box. Basically the only real "difference" is the hammers. The shop owner also told me that the Remington SPR220 has been discontinued. Of course, he's also the same guy that told me Surefire makes the Glock GTL rail light. :slap:

Your comments please. :D

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you are going to use it for. Competition? Get the hammerless for the faster lock time.

If it's just a fun gun, I like the sexiness of the hammers and the Remington has slightly better styling IMO.

But then again the Stoeger is probably a better made gun, being that Benelli owns them.

Oh hell, I'd flip a coin.........:sorry4:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well...here's another way to look at it.

With the Remington, I wouldn't be as afraid to keep loaded because of the hammers. I mean...you can yank on the trigger all day long and it won't fire until/unless the hammer(s) is cocked.

I just feel kinda nervous with a hammerless gun (besides a Glock) being loaded and relying on a mechanical safety. :disappoin

This may be a mute point to some, but with me it's a very important one. ;)

Just for the record...the Remington is made in Russia. The Stoeger is made in Brazil.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a stoger over under condor with 20 & 12 ga barrels & it has held up well prob about 500rds through, took it dove hunting & went through 4 boxes rather quickly with no hiccups, has extractors not ejectors while dove hunting ejectors would be better, is a little bit heavy but for an over under you are not worried about getting used marks on it, I do like hammers thought & they are slow if you hunt, have a 12 ga BP with hammers sure is pertty. I say hammers for a fun gun:twocents:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As posted in bulboys thread, I like, and have hunted with a hammered SXS. Its not really that difficult, and when you get used to it, it becomes second nature. I carry my shotguns at port arms in the field, and as game appears in the same motion of shouldering the gun, the hand cocks the hammers. At first it feels a little cumbersome, but by God John Wayne could do it, and I'm sure you could too.:D

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As posted in bulboys thread, I like, and have hunted with a hammered SXS. Its not really that difficult, and when you get used to it, it becomes second nature. I carry my shotguns at port arms in the field, and as game appears in the same motion of shouldering the gun, the hand cocks the hammers. At first it feels a little cumbersome, but by God John Wayne could do it, and I'm sure you could too.:D

You got that right, pilgrim.

[Broken External Image]

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the hammerless remington. Your more than welcome to try it out and see if you like it. I would probably even bring it to you. I like my hammerless but I like the look of the hammers better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom