ODD - Fill mein - DEER / Corn / Huh .... ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getsum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK -
I have had tons of deer all over my place.
I have had multiple does w/ twins, some bucks, spikes , etc.
They usually clean up the corn.

NOW -
I have noticed in the last month -------
the corn is piling up.
the deer do not seem to be comng to the feedrs much, and if they do it is at night.
I used to have each of the 3 cameras : 50-75 pics in a week.
Now I have like 15-20 total ????????????????

Also - I have a ton of traffic up and down atrail that leads to my neighbors place where they cross (Looks like a highway)
I have new does and bucks at night...

Fill me in onthe corn ??
Also - would you sit at the feeders or would you sit in the ground blind over by the DEER HWY ?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would sit by the highway. It is getting closer to the rut, and they may be thinking less about food. With the weather changes we have had in the last couple of weeks, a lot of deer are acting strange.

Oh, and it sounds like it is a lonely place, and you need some company, drop me a PM, I love the Antlers area. If you hear of some land for sale down there, let me know.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A deers range and habits change with the seasons. They are just made that way. I would say as the food sources are changing, so is the "home area". Not saying your corn wasn't a food source, but most likely no the main one. Hunt the highway....all day. You will see deer, they will still be coming into your property, just maybe not staying there 24/7. Also, remember that there has been a full moon. This can explain the night time movements.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you have acorns on your property? Or nearby? Now that the acorns are on the ground, a lot of deer will feed on those over regular feed corn.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
the acorns are thick at the place i hunt north of antlers the deer are not going to touch the corn till they are gone they hit my feeders earlyer at the first of september but when the acorns hit it was over we have one feeder they still come to but they won't touch the corn get about 4 or 5 pics a week but they are eating my peanut butter tub i put out

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As has been mentioned, the food sources will cause deer paterns to change as their availability changes.

Also, if you or someone else has been hunting your feeder, they pick up on this real quick. I would not recommend hunting the feeder even if they're coming to it, unless you're just wanting to kill one and call it quits.

If you want to use the feeder or any bait to keep deer in the area hunt the staging areas and trails around it for the best results.

With that said, I would hunt the major trail you mentioned.

getsum

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks - I was thinking I would hunt that major trail that I had been talking about.
It has a ton of traffic on it.
I am betting it is the rain, growth, acorns, pre-rut, etc...
Just a bummer since I have seen a ton since last feb. and all of a sudden - not much at all.... arggggggghhhhhhh

I am gonna sit on the HWY trail and see what I get

thanks

Texas deeraholic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hunting just southwest of you in Bentley, and have had the same problem. One of my feeders went from producing 400 to 500 pictures a week with shooter bucks to now producing about 150 pictures for the past week with no shooters. The deer highway sounds good. I did see one shooter Monday morning while I was in my stand. It came down a busy trail about 60yds. behind me. I may try to hunt that trail this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom