Smith & Wesson Model 41

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for a semi auto 22 and was told the model 41 was the best.

I looked at one today and wanted some opinions. If there is something better what is it and why?

I have also looked at the walther p22, mosquito, buckmark, and mkIII and liked the mkIII the most until looking at the 41.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot the P22 and didn't like it. It looks tacticool but the trigger was crap and the sight was plasticy and crooked.

Mosquito gets a bad rap but I don't have any experience first hand.

Buckmarks are very nice and they get the thumbs up from me (fwiw). Cost a bit more but they have a certain appeal with the pimptastic gold triggers.

Ruger.. Can't go wrong here. The most options for aftermarket parts and accessories. An old standard that shoots straight and has a nice trigger. Can be a pain to reassemble though.

Now the S&W is in a class all is own. Preferred by many for target shooting. You're gonna pay probably around $700 or more for one but it comes with the S&W mojo, resale value, pride of ownership, and oustanding accuracy and trigger pull.

+++++++
Something better, yeah but you'd be in a whole other level. The 41 is the best of those listed above.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I only have experience with the P22 and all my experiences have been good. We've shot 3 or 4 brands of ammo through it with no trouble and it's pretty easy to clean.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 41 is in a class of its own. She stands right under the olympic class pistols in accuracy an price. With that said, and I've owned several, she is very ammo sensitive. Its not a gun to be shooting CCI Stingers out of, or the WallyWorld bulk. She is at her best with CCI Standard, and she will require frequent cleaning. When she is clean an fed the right ammo she'll be the darling of the target range! Now if you want a gun that will show good accuracy, doesn't baulk as often when not clean, and will eat the cheap along with the good ammo, get yourself a Browning or a Ruger.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 41 is a very nice 22 target pistol, it is a step above the Ruger or Browning in my opinion. The only other 22 auto that compares is an original High Standard target model like the Supermatic Citation or Victor.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 41 is a very nice 22 target pistol, it is a step above the Ruger or Browning in my opinion. The only other 22 auto that compares is an original High Standard target model like the Supermatic Citation or Victor.

No doubt it will put both to shame, and it also ranks very high with me, but its downfall is its small window for what type of .22lr ammo it will work with. Same with some of the older High Standards too. Their Olympic class gun was just that for a few years, and also a Camp Perry standard.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 41 and like it a lot. I have had several .22's in the past, finally pulled the trigger and got the one I have always wanted. I got the 5" barrel, the trigger is amazing right out of the box. Runs great with CCI standard velocity ammo. I also keep it well lubricated.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered a 5.5" Mark III Talo edition that should be here this week. Can't wait to get it!

I have to confess to being a bit sentimental for the Rugers, but I did explore the similarly priced competition and the Mk III just seems to stand head and shoulders over the newer and/or more tacticool stuff.

The Buckmarks are really well-liked also, but I don't have any experience with them. It sounds like the Sigs and Walthers can be a headache in terms of feeding and ejection issues, appealing though they are.

Sounds like the Smith is a heck of a pistol if you've got the budget for one though!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just ordered a 5.5" Mark III Talo edition that should be here this week. Can't wait to get it!

I have to confess to being a bit sentimental for the Rugers, but I did explore the similarly priced competition and the Mk III just seems to stand head and shoulders over the newer and/or more tacticool stuff.

The Buckmarks are really well-liked also, but I don't have any experience with them. It sounds like the Sigs and Walthers can be a headache in terms of feeding and ejection issues, appealing though they are.

Sounds like the Smith is a heck of a pistol if you've got the budget for one though!

Unless its one of these Walthers/Manurhin's, then there is no issue!
ai151.photobucket.com_albums_s127_ldp4570_GUNS_203_DSCN0402.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom