Trout fishing at lake pretty water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to go trout fishing at lake pretty water in Sapulpa. Don't have any idea how to go about this.. What's the best way to catch them? I assume there is a place out at the lake to buy the permit?

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've fished there quite a bit. Powerbait (red) has always worked really well for me. Of course you will want to use 4# test or smaller. We catch our limit most days fairly quickly. Mostly catch rainbows in the 12" range...but I have caught a few goldens.

I usually buy my license at the WalMart in Sapulpa. It is a lot of fun. Good luck!!

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it red pellets or the red putty stuff? What kind of hooks? Do you put a small weight on the line to help for casting? Sorry for the 20 questions, I just want to have the best shot I can at being successful.

the man

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually the pellets. I use a small red hook made by Eagle Claw...I think it is a size 8, but not sure. I usually put a small split shot sinker about 12" above the hook. I just cast along the bank and let it sit for a bit. Obviously if you can find a stocking schedule, the closer to the stock date you get there the better you will do.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crawlers on the bottom or on a bobber, live grasshoppers work awesome if you can still find some. Spinners like panther martin or mepps or my personal favorite blue fox. Just make sure not to toss out the giant ones the smaller ones should be good on 12"ers.

luvmykalashnikov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
does it have handi-cap area? I'm stuck on crutch's and it's hard to find a place for me to trout fish?:spaghetti:

3 floating docks, 2 of which you can easily access and plenty of bank fishing.

Man I miss trout fishing at pretty water. First time since they started stocking it that I wont be there. :flybuzz:

2 years ago if you trolled way back into the creek, you could tie up by this downed telephone pole and watch 4 and 5 pounders swim around under your boat in about 3 foot of water.

We caught a few. Lots of fun with 4# test and an ultralight.

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
this is the most fun place to fish esp. during the winter months.We use powerbait also but we have luck on just about any color but we use what we call "captain america".its the red white and blue stuff.you are allowed 2 poles so we usually throw out 1 pole with the power bait and cast with the other.REd rooster tails in 1/8 oz. can be deadly out there.i caught a 18" rainbow out there last year at about this time of year.You will need a okla. fishing lisc. and a city of sapulpa fishing lisc. and a trout permit.You can buy all but the ok. lisc. at the park headquarters.
P.s. we have better luck fishing the far east dock and cast out quite a ways towards the southeast.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Use light line 4, or 6 pound test at the largest. If you don't have any reels with that small of line, just make you a leader 2 or so feet long with the lighter line. Two ways to set it up. I prefer what I call a catfish rig. Put loops in your main line about 18" apart and attach your leadered hooks to that, with a weight on the bottom just big enough to let you cast it a distance. Use either small snelled hooks, or salmon egg hooks.
The other way to rig it is to thread a barrel weight on your line, tie on a swivel, then about an 18" leader with a small snelled hook or medium salmon egg hook on the very end. Baits include power baits (use the name brand stuff) in different colors, salmon eggs, corn, or small worms. I've heard of people having good luck with 2"power worms hooked wacky style. ALWAYS fish on bottom. If they're really biting, sometimes you can have luck with small in-line spinner baits. It's a LOT of fun catching them that way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
does it have handi-cap area? I'm stuck on crutch's and it's hard to find a place for me to trout fish?:spaghetti:

Pawhuska has a handicap accessable dock as well if you want to go there.

If you want to use night crawlers, get one of the plastic bottles that have a needle in the end and blow an air bubble into the worm so that it will float just off the bottom. It will still wiggle with the air bubble in it. Deadly:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom