colt revolver question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i was eyeing a colt official police in a local gun shop, thing is i have no knowledge of colt revolvers, my question is when the hammer isint cocked can you rotate the cylinder by hand? or is that a mechanical problem?

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to update this one. The pistol in question is a police positive, the cylinder will rotate counter clockwise when the hammer is down, but not clockwise. the lockup isint very good its got quite a bit of slop in it. What would it take to fix it? Its been sitting at the same gunshop for a couple months for $299. Also how can you tell if a colt is a factory nickel gun?

the colt DS the same shop has, the cylinder doesnt rotate at all in any direction with the hammer down

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is quite common on police positives.
Especially the police surplus ones from South America.
I've had several that the cyl. stop scallops were cut a little too much.
They lock up fine for firing, but will turn the wrong direction with a little push.
Unlike a S&W in the hammer down -trigger released position the hand is completely back in the frame and cannot stop ccw rotation.
to check tightness on a colt it is done with hammer down -trigger pulled Vs. a S&W just hammer back.

Check like underside of barrel where ejection rod goes for Century arms marks
they reimported a lot of them a few years ago if its a cai one I wouldn't give more than $150 max.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry Mr Ed this is not common, I repair colts and although a little slop, perhaps 10 thousands of an inch is common, being able to rotate the cylinder without the hammer in half cock is not.

Because Colt parts generally serve more than one function in the gun there are a couple of different things that can be causing a loose cylinder, First of all the piece that grabs the cylinder at the bottom is called a bolt, if it is bent or worn that can cause it, another can be that the spring is damaged which happens a lot or the screw that holds it in place is damaged or rusted through, also could be that the safety lever is broken or bent. I have seen all of these things in colts.

Repair can cost as much as $110, which would be $60 if replacing all of the parts I just mentioned and $50 labor for knowing where everything goes, getting it in there correctly and adjusting everything. There are 55 parts in and on that gun so think twice about doing it yourself.

I charge more if the gun is already disassembled.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Mr Ed this is not common, I repair colts and although a little slop, perhaps 10 thousands of an inch is common, being able to rotate the cylinder without the hammer in half cock is not.

How do you put the above mentioned police positive in half cock its not a single action. or are you talking cocking the hammer enough to release the bolt. he was talking about it spinning the other way. and like I said Colt rounded the trailing edge of the bolt which along with overly deep scallops allows this to happen.

I used to buy these 20 at a time from century and rebuild them.

I some times have trouble explaining how stuff works

Latest posts

Top Bottom