Any good public lands for Gun Season Opening Day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bantam510

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going deer hunting this weekend for gun season opening day, and I am looking for inputs on good public lands close ot OKC. I'm thinking about going to Heyburn WMA, but not sure what to expect out there. Anyone been? Also this is my first time deer hunting. Any inputs would be helpful.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any tips for hunting out of a blind?

If you're on public land make sure you either cover it with orange tape or hang several orange vest around it.

Other than that, ensure that its brushed in and the outline is broken up. Blinds for rifle hunting are fairly easy as long as you have some brush and a little distance between you and the deer.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would hang some orange on it. Make sure that you aren't close to a bunch of other hunters or where other hunters are entering, or moving through the area. I would do some scouting before I put a blind up, that would give you an opportunity to do some still hunting while you were looking for a spot to set up. Rule #1 HUNTER ORANGE and on public land, the more the better, because there are some real idiots out there.

Bantam510

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the hints! More tips and tricks are totally welcome! Keep em coming, and anyone who would like to join me for my hunt on Saturday, feel free! I definitely wouldn't mind having a veteran hunter out there giving me some advice.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For opening weekend you better get out there this week and do some scouting. Many successful hunters have been doing some scouting over the last month or two. Its public land but it isn't nice to go trampling all over the place wondering where to set up at first light when other hunters have set up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom