Minimum Distance From Roads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OV1kenobi

Marksman
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a minimum distance that must be maintained away from public roads, such as county maintained, while shooting a firearm?

I remember years ago, while hunting in Michigan, that there was some sort of regulation that a hunter/shooter had to be at a certain distance from any public thoroughfare before discharging a firearm. I believe it was 400 feet, but I could be wrong. I think the intent was to prohibit hunting from a stopped vehicle.

Any similar laws here in Oklahoma? If so, does it only apply to hunting, or any shooting whatsoever?

Regards,

David

hubmonkey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a minimum distance that must be maintained away from public roads, such as county maintained, while shooting a firearm?

I remember years ago, while hunting in Michigan, that there was some sort of regulation that a hunter/shooter had to be at a certain distance from any public thoroughfare before discharging a firearm. I believe it was 400 feet, but I could be wrong. I think the intent was to prohibit hunting from a stopped vehicle.

Any similar laws here in Oklahoma? If so, does it only apply to hunting, or any shooting whatsoever?

Regards,

David

The hunting regs say no shooting from or across a public road. It does not say how far you have to be off of a road. Call the game warden in your county and talk to them.

Hub

cw821

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the 2009 hunting regs.

"Shooting From Road
Shooting from or across any public road,
highway (or right-of-way) or railroad right-of-way
is prohibited. Public roadways are defined as
any governmental or corporate roadways where
vehicular traffic is not restricted and the roadway
is routinely used by the general public."

I take this to mean that if your on private property and off of the public right of ways, then you ok. Doesn't matter if you back is up against the fence on I-40, as long as your on private property and not shooting across the road.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if you back is up against the fence on I-40, as long as your on private property and not shooting across the road.

That's what we tell them in hunter safety class.
If there is no fence, make sure you are on the "crop side" of the bar ditch, not standing beside the road. A lot of people make the mistake of shooting toward the road at game: one almost hit our Game Warden. (Yes, that caused an arrest)

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people make the mistake of shooting toward the road at game: one almost hit our Game Warden. (Yes, that caused an arrest)

Is Greg Sexton still the Warden down there (Jackson)? We went to college together studying wildlife management.

If it was him, tell him I said to keep him ugly head down.......

BC

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
no specified distance. just be sure you are off the road bed. trpically roads have a drainage ditch on each side. the far side of that ditch works for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom