Another Controversial Thread-Head Shots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwant1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread in the "Rifle Discussion" about using AR's to hunt. I was pleased with the response. I have another question that may not be as popular. I've always hunted and plinked with the .223. I've shot everything from plate steel(blasted holes thru 1/4"), to locks, to 4" tree trunks (cut them down with one shot). In deer hunting, it takes so much abuse for it small size. I've never heard someone recommend a .223 for deer hunting. For some reason it's ok for humans up to 225lbs...but not animals. I've made body shots behind the shoulder and heart shots and have dropped dear. However, now I've found that for fun and one shot drop, that I shoot deer right below the jaw in the neck. Get's em' everytime, they drop like a head shot. (I shoot hogs the same way) I get the same looks about this as I do when I tell them that I'm hunting with an AR. Please dont' try and prove that a bigger caliber would drop deer because they run after being shot, just watch some deer hunting videos. Why is this kind of shot wrong?

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread in the "Rifle Discussion" about using AR's to hunt. I was pleased with the response. I have another question that may not be as popular. I've always hunted and plinked with the .223. I've shot everything from plate steel(blasted holes thru 1/4"), to locks, to 4" tree trunks (cut them down with one shot). In deer hunting, it takes so much abuse for it small size. I've never heard someone recommend a .223 for deer hunting. For some reason it's ok for humans up to 225lbs...but not animals. I've made body shots behind the shoulder and heart shots and have dropped dear. However, now I've found that for fun and one shot drop, that I shoot deer right below the jaw in the neck. Get's em' everytime, they drop like a head shot. (I shoot hogs the same way) I get the same looks about this as I do when I tell them that I'm hunting with an AR. Please dont' try and prove that a bigger caliber would drop deer because they run after being shot, just watch some deer hunting videos. Why is this kind of shot wrong?

When you have shot a few deer that have had their lower jaw shot off ( get you a good mental image of that!! a doe running around with its lower jaw hanging on by a patch of skin!! ) or their Muzzle shot off, nose ect and think of the blood and the fear in the animal!! or had to shoot one that had its thought blown out and was still running around in pain. When you have had to shoot these animal to put them down. You will begin to see why I HATE this kind of shot for the folks that THINK they can make them.!!!

The animal deserves the highest opportunity shot for a quick humane kill and that is always the hart/lung shot.

Now is the head/neck shot effective?? if done right you bet!! it's DRT!!
but miss a little and the animal will pay the price.

The other problem is the guy's ego and that should never enter in to the shot ,if you THINK you can make a head shot then you should KNOW you can make a hart/lung shot! and that's what you should be doing.

Now on the 223 I highly recommend it for deer hunting with good bullets and shorter range it is very effective on deer size game, but bullet choice and shot placement is key.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've shot them there with my AR. Puts them down quick and no meat damage. I only take that shot if I am really confident in it.

I've never even attempted a shot like that, but I'd have to be confident in the shot, too. Nothing obscuring the view and not too far away with a good rest. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it, provided it's not a trophy or you'll have to buy a cape to go with your horns.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the only reason i don't like the shot is a member of a hunting club i use to belong too. had a doe move alittle right at the shot and he blew her bottom jaw off.
it took three days for us to find her again and dispatch her, so i think that shot has too high a margin for error

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a doe in the head a few years ago. Like imhuntin said, you have got to be very confident you can make it. This shot was at 30 yards, the doe facing toward me feeding on the ground. I was n an 18' ladder stand. I shot her right square dead center in the top of the head. No meat loss, very clean gut job. I'd do it again, givin a shot opportunity like that. Move it beyond 60 yards and I'd go for the bigger target.

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with .223 for deer. I've shot a number of deer (does) with this round. The head shot is a good shot if you know your gun.
When I hunt for meat this is the shot I try to always use. Like others have said, "you have to have confidence in your shooting ability."

Latest posts

Top Bottom