Is there a down side to using a rifle scope on an air rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just got a high powered 22 cal break barrel air rifle. Would like to put a better scope on it then the one that came with it. Is there any draw back to using a rifle scope on it or do i need stay with scopes designed specifically for air rifles? Thx for any info!

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the effective range of an air rifle, but I imagine it'd be well under 100 yards? At any rate, many rifle scopes have parallax corrected for 100+ yards, if I'm not mistaken. So you'd have a bit of a parallax effect if you're shooting at 25- or 50-yard targets. Also, if you're using a reticle that's calibrated for a specific caliber, then your shooting might be affected. Just my :twocents:

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is only what I have heard, but I've been told that air rifles have some kind of funky recoil impulse that's really hard on rifle scopes. I do know that nice air rifle scopes do not last long at gun shows.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An air rifle wil tear a regualr rifle scope apart in short order. They are not made for the backwards recoil impulse.

Saw a $600 scope trashed, and the furious owner attached to it who was told by Cabelas Ft Worth he had voided his warranty by putting it on an air rifle.

As an aside, I shoot my RWS rifle without a scope and find that adequate for my purposes. Try setting up empty cases at 10m and playing sniper.

rrd101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The recoil from a good air rifle would ruin a rifle scope
I"ve had good luck with the BSA air rifle scopes
Have a 2x7ao on a Gamo and also on my 10/22
They have worked great for me

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An air rifle wil tear a regualr rifle scope apart in short order. They are not made for the backwards recoil impulse.

Saw a $600 scope trashed, and the furious owner attached to it who was told by Cabelas Ft Worth he had voided his warranty by putting it on an air rifle.

As an aside, I shoot my RWS rifle without a scope and find that adequate for my purposes. Try setting up empty cases at 10m and playing sniper.

This^^^^
Leupolds work fine but they are pricey.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The spring in an air rifle flies forward -impacts- then snaps rearward, like whiplash in a car wreck. air rifle scopes are designed for that recoil.

Regular rifles recoil rearward then snap forward. Rifle scopes are designed for that recoil.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
air gun nut here that's broken many scopes... which includes high end Leupold VX3 EFR and Bushnell 4200 elite.

air guns which break scopes are limited to springers. air spring guns are included in this group. compressed air or precharged pneumatics or PCP are not effected.

firearm scope are designed to absorb recoil in one direction vs air gun scopes are designed to survive both directions.

Leupold and Bushnell claims to have redesigned all their scope to survive shock from both directions.

so the two most important requirements for an air gun scope are:

1. backing of scope mfg if you should break it.... Leupold and Bushnell will both fix broken scopes ... no question asked with Bushnell having an edge on customer service.

2. scope needs an adjustable front objective to allow focus within 10 meters.

use a quality one piece scope mount whenever possible.

my most shot air rifle ... Beeman R7 that's professionally tuned w/Leupold VX3 EFR 3.5x 10 x 50mm with a beeman one piece mount.

Fly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I know it sounds crazy but the above quote is true.I have many spring air
rifles & they will screw up many rifle scopes.:ooh2:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the two absolutely worst airguns for breaking scope also happen to be true magnum air rifles.

both vie of title of world's most powerful single pump springer air rifle at 30 ft lbs energy. to put things in perspective .22 LR puts out approx 100 ft lbs energy

1. Beeman Kodiak .25 .. also sold under Webley Patriot

2. Beeman Crow Magnum .25 also sold under Theoben Eliminator

I've had both and broken several scopes with both.
the Beeman Crow mag (air spring) delivered slightly more ft lbs energy as verified by my chrony.

Daystate Air Ranger (PCP @ 3,000 psi) puts out 80 ft lbs. Dennis Quackenbush makes PCP air rifles using .50cal that delivers 500+ ft lbs energy that has taken American Bison.

Beeman Crow Mag .25 with Leupold EFR

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_crowmag6.JPG

Beeman Kodiak .25

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_kodiak.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom