hunting rifles...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nephets0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
okay, so next year i want to go deer hunting, possibly even hog hunting, what would be a good all around rifle that would take both cleanly and efficiently? i was thinking .308 or 300wm

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
308 will work and the barrel will live longer than the 300. It would probably be more fun, less recoil and cheaper ammo cost, for general paper punching. Both are capable of some pretty impressive accuracy.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What's wrong with the .30/06? Anything the .308 will do the /06 will do just alittle better. You'd have to shoot thousands of rounds or rapid fire a hunting rifle for barrel life to be a major consideration.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What's wrong with the .30/06? Anything the .308 will do the /06 will do just alittle better. You'd have to shoot thousands of rounds or rapid fire a hunting rifle for barrel life to be a major consideration.

IMO the 06 is probably the best way to go but nobody seems to want them anymore.

rrd101

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would"nt recommend the 300 mag. because of the recoil. I"ve seen
alot of good rifle shooters do very poor with the 300 because they are
scared of the recoil.Any rifle in 243 thru 30/06 is quiet capable of taking
either deer or hogs in Ok. The key is finding a rifle and caliber you shoot well
selecting the right ammo then practice,practice,practice

Hope this helps good luck and good hunting

Latest posts

Top Bottom