Springfield champion ss problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought my first 1911 after much research and handeling diffrent modles. I chose the Springfield Champion in stainless steel for many reasons I won't go into. I loaded it up with Speer gold dot 230 grain jacketed hollow points and inserted the magazine. I pulled the slide back and the round failed to feed. I thought it might just be a defective round so I removed it and tried again with a new round from the same magazine and got the same result. I tried the other magazine that came with the gun and got similer results. I would have to pull the slide back several times to get the gun to feed. I have not fired the gun yet to see if it will feed when fired. Is this a gun issue or a magazine problem. The mags are the standard 7 rounders and I have not tried any diffrent ammo yet. I'm hoping my Springfield Loaded isn't loaded with crap. Can anyone help

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your ammo is factory Speer GD, then the issue isn't the ammo most likely, but the gun. I've seen plenty of Springers out of the box that wouldn't work at all. Extractor tension is the 1st thing I'd have checked. Magazines are sometimes an issue and lots of 1911's will benefit from a basic reliability tuning package.

If you bought it NIB from a reputable dealer, you might try taking it back to them and see if they can help you.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are you letting go of the slide the moment it gets to the rearward most part of its travel?
What blocks the tip of the bullet what it fails to feed; the bottom of the barrel, or is it still in the magazine?

Every 1911 should haave at least one good wilson or similar magazine. thats the first thing Id do.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Springfield Champion Commander and it did that to me one time, but that was after I had the guy above Cerakote it and the ramp needed to be polished, after that...it worked like a "champion"! By the way, I use Wilson Combat mags in mine.

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a straight out of the box new Kimber eclipse. It would not load hollow point ammo to save my life. I tried different types of ammo and mags. I sent it back to Kimber for them to fix. They sent it back with a nice letter from their Pro Shop detailing all the custom work they did. It still wouldn't work with hollow point ammo. The dealer bought it back from me.

I bought a Springfield Operator and never had a problem at all with it. lol

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought it from H&H out of OKC. from what I can tell it is still in the magazine when it fails I can't tell what it is hanging on perhaps it is the bottom of the feed ramp. I am fully pulling back on the slide and letting go when it is all the way back just like I do with any auto that I have. I was rally excited to get this gun and now I'm not happy with my paperweight.

Edmond

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry guys but for me, if I bought a gun, I expect it to work right out of the box without any additional work ($$$).

Is that unreasonable when it comes to a 1911?

Latest posts

Top Bottom