Rom PSL-54C & CETME Sporter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
TWSS is soo happy today:
alh3.ggpht.com__rrL5GiFRr8I_SxBaVtKwUZI_AAAAAAAACRk_N8xLGvoi2TE_s800_photo.jpg

I happy as well!
alh6.ggpht.com__rrL5GiFRr8I_Swtywhgo0jI_AAAAAAAACQs_oHSJZ_36wVA_s800_photo.jpg

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
40rds down the pipe can't be wrong!

Hopefully tomorrow will be several hundred downrange.

That disclaimer is on all surplus rifles, but..................

40 rounds don't make it safe. On a delayed-blowback semi-automatic rifle it's a little bit more than a disclaimer. Century is NOT good at putting these together.

To elaborate...when Century often botches the barrel installation (which is pressed into the trunion), rather than fix it the correct way, they take the bolt head from the bolt and grind it down to "fix" the headspace. After some wear from the action cycling, the bolt head will rest on the locking piece (instead of the rollers) and the timing of the bolt locking/unlocking won't be correct (read: safe). When the bolt unlocks too soon, the unsupported case will explode (62K PSI...next to your head).

And since the barrel is installed incorrectly, installing brand new oversized rollers & an unground bolt won't really fix it.

I had one that was "new" from Century and it was dangerously close to being out of headspace. The bolt was ground...all of the CAI CETME's that I've seen have had ground bolt heads.

If your bolt gap is right in the middle and is good to go, run it wet to prevent wear and it should make a good rifle.

Here's a good video that explains the relationship between bolt gap, headspace, etc. in the CETME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoLrjpDB51s

I chose to sell mine rather than screw with it. Plus the ergonomics on the G3/CETME are absolutely terrible.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far only 13 rounds of winchester 180gr. soft point. Yes it is picky and the soft primers blew out the back and bent my firing pin. I was able to hammer it straight but will be ordering another one anyway, just in case. Milsurp lightball ammo should make her run like a champ. Also I made a custom bipod mount. I don't have a bipod yet, but will post pics when I do.

arenathlete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got lucky, no ground bolt but I'm definitely going to upsize the rollers.

120rds down the pipe with good accuracy, now just time for a 2x or 3x red dot