Taurus 709 Slim vs Keltec PF9

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've never shot the Taurus, but I carry the kel-tec pf9 every day. It's great for a carry gun, it is NOT great for a range plinker. It's VERY snappy on the recoil. After a couple - three magazines, it goes back on my hip and the Beretta 92f comes out for fun.

I've put around 150-200 rounds through my pf9 and I haven't had any misfires/jams, etc. 100% reliable. Just don't stick a 9mm Makarov round in there... don't ask me how I know. (Shutup HMT204!)

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not shot the Taurus, but heard good reports on them. Several people that I have talked to that shot them, said it would be the only Taurus semi auto they would own.

I did not like the Kel Tec, I have several Kahrs, and have no issues with them. I even enjoy shooting my PM9 at the range without any issues.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
They are very similar in size IIRC, so either both would, or both would not, most likely. They are certainly small enough to potentially work as pocket carry, now whether they will or not for you, is a whole nuther can 'o worms.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks NK. Academy has that Taurus for a good price. I might check that out. It hasn't been out long enough for there to be a lot of reports. I'm going to just check it out for now and see how it feels/fits in the pocket.

B

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have both the 709 and the PF9. In my particular pair the PF9 seems to be less accurate than the 709, now this is just in my experience with my pistols, the PF9 has never had any problems with FTF or FTE its just not as comfortable to shoot as the 709 it could be the trigger of the PF9 doesn't fit me. 709 has a much better trigger, for me, and therefore I can be more accurate. That said the 709 sometimes will not lock back on an empty mag, not everytime but about 4 out of 10. I can manually lock the slide by pulling back and it will catch. This may be a problem in my pistol only. The PF9 hasn't had this problem so I can't say its from 'limp-wristing' or not. Both carry in the front pocket, for me, with no problem it does seem like the 709 protrudes less. I did have a Kahr but it wasn't as dependable as the 709 or the PF9 again this was just in the one I had. After about 200 rounds I decided someone else could figure it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom