Barrel Length For Long Range Shooter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Ruger M77, chambered in .300 Winmag, southpaw. I'm wanting to replace the 24 inch barrel, replace the trigger, and put a recoil pad on it. I'm wanting to make it a 1,000 yd. tack driver. My question is, how long of a barrel would you recommend? I'm thinking 26 inches or greater. Any suggestions? Thanks....... :anyone:

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you hand-load? if so 24 is plenty long. Barrel length is more to make sure you get a full powder burn than for accuracy, 24 may even be plenty for most factory loads.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with a 26-28" barrel if it's going to be a bench gun. For a field rifle, 24-26" would be fine. Don't go shorter on the 300WM. Honestly, I would get a Rem. or an old Win. action to use for the build-up. Also consider an aftermarket action.
Check out www.longrangehunting.com / 6mmbr.com / snipershide.com for additional info.

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now, we're gonna polish the action some. The muzzle blast from the 24 inch barrel is pretty stout! The 26 inch is what I have in mind. Yes, I do reload. Thought I'd make this a combo plains hunting/SHTF rifle. I don't make it a habit of taking shots greater than a couple hundred yds. I have a .30-06 with a 24 inch barrel that suits me fine for extreme deer. Around here in Mississippi, a .243 is plenty. 100 yds is a long shot for deer around here. I'll be moving back to Oklahoma in May. Looking forward to getting back home. Thanks.... :)

Brother Bob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks, but there's a big difference in a .300 Winmag and a .308. By the way, I forgot to say that this barrel would be thicker. Sure, cutting down a barrel eliminates a lot of barrel whip, but in a magnum, you're gonna be blasting flames out of an 18 inch barrel and defeating the reason you bought a mag to begin with. Go to the Lilja site and look at those long barreled honkers they use for long distance shooting. I don't want anything like that, just a good shooting .300 Winmag. Thanks, again..... ;)

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There's alot more to a 1000yd. rifle than the barrel, B.B. As long as you are going to rebarrel though, you'll want to have the action trued, some call it 'blue printing'. You have one problem, your action is a Ruger 77 and most that really build those 1000yd. rifles don't use Ruger 77's. They are a fine hunting rifle, but, leave alot to be desired for 1000yd. 'tack drivers'. At the minimum, find yourself a Remington 700 ADL, preferably, an old wood stocked one, and use it for your build.

Latest posts

Top Bottom