What kind of recoil can I expect on a XDM that I am getting for the wife

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'll save money in the long run by first taking her to a range the rents guns, letting her try several and then make her own selection.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you get the XDM chambered in .40 or 9mm?

I have one in .40.

It's a fairly large and heavy pistol so recoil is mild. BUT recoil is a pretty subjective thing. What's mild to me might not be to the next person.

JB Hood

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The voice of experiance. You maybe the one that is surpised, let her pick out HER gun. Then suprise her by sending it to Olyeller for a color cordination. And, get a 9mm.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If you get and XDM 9mm the recoil is mild. But, if you think recoil is the largest factor in her liking it or not, get a .22 semiauto, if you don't already have one. And, heed what people are saying here. If you're going to surprise her, give her a gift certificate for $XYZ and the promise that you will accompany (and only accompany) her while she picks the gun out.

There are two ways to get to shoot a gun before buying, one, go to H&H and rent the one you want to try. Two, arrange to meet members of OSA at the range who own the guns you like. The second option is much cheaper.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't surprise her.
Most common complaint in women's beginner classes is my husband bought this and expects me to like it.

This^
Take her to a range that rent's firearms, try different models and calibers. Common theme was my wife didn't finish shooting the rental gun and ammo bought for it, she shot it then would shoot my 1911, I had to finish out the ammo for the rental.

I agree, and also starting them on a hand cannon.:fullauto:

Got lucky mine liked and preferred to shoot the .45. Bought her a springfield commander.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the most common gun we see in class that Ladys run really well is the M&P 9.
I would strongly sugest that over the XDm.

But let her shoot them all and then buy her one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom