Will it be cost effective to reload 223 in a year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerLB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So... there was a poll not too long ago that asked the question how low wolf would go per k... Begs the question if it goes sub 200 or even slightly over 200 will it be worth it to reload 223?

1000 primers = $35ish FTF
4lbs of varget or 335 = $100ish at the sto...
1000 pieces of brass = $70 once fired from J&K if they get it in stock (reusable of course but I'll need to buy it once)
1000 projectiles = $100

Consumables = $235

With an initial cost of $305..

Now obviously I'm not considering this just for cost savings, I do enjoy the time by myself so it's a hobby, and I would get the loads I wanted and they'll likely be higher quality than wolf... I dunno just food for thought.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i don't think there's any way it'll get that low again. if it does, i'll have to buy some. i load 223 for about 14 cents per round, but i'd pay that extra $60 for 1k just to be able to shoot em out of the ar-15 and not worry about picking the brass up and full case sizing them.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Projectiles and powder are a little high in your estimation.

8 lbs of 2230 will load around 2200 cartridges and I paid 130ish delivered.

1K of 55gr 224 bullets are around 80 delivered.

I have bought 223 brass for as little as 60 per thousand, and wolf primers can be found for 27-28 per thousand.

I figure I can load 1K 223 for $240 if I discard cases after their 2nd firing, which I would never do.

I just don't see being able to buy quality brass cased ammo for less than components, plus, when reloading you can use whatever components you please.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly I would say the days of cheap enough not to reload is over and has been. OF is right also that we can shoot a lot more and for less. Plus reloading is just fun, kind of puts you closer to knowing what you and your rifle is capable of and why.

Latest posts

Top Bottom