Crow hunting at Ft. Cobb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard people for years talk about Crow hunting at Ft. Cobb but recently i was told that was 30 years ago and its not what it is cracked up to be. :scratch: anyone been there in the recent years?

I'm trying to get a trip together to go crow hunting but that was the only place i've ever heard people talking about. Any advice on some public land I could go pop off a few crows if Ft. Cobb isn't worth my time. Thanks for the advice everyone

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The crows are gone. I don't know what happened but there are not anywhere near the crows around Caddo County that there used to be when I was a kid. You could get a few around but nothing like the old days where you could shoot boxes of shells.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crows are gone. I don't know what happened but there are not anywhere near the crows around Caddo County that there used to be when I was a kid. You could get a few around but nothing like the old days where you could shoot boxes of shells.

Thats what I was affraid of. I've seen youtube videos of guys unloading on them, but I've never gotten a chance to go. My dad's always been a fisherman and I'm learning the ropes of hunting in general on my own. Figured crows would be a good place to start if i can find where they are at!

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what I was affraid of. I've seen youtube videos of guys unloading on them, but I've never gotten a chance to go. My dad's always been a fisherman and I'm learning the ropes of hunting in general on my own. Figured crows would be a good place to start if i can find where they are at!

I hunt down south in Pittsburg, Coal, Atoka counties. Lots of crows down there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Crows were hunted in that area as millions of them invaded the peanut fields, and wiped out some farmers. When I was 17 yrs old we went down there with a buddy's dad, and the county had dumpsters set up at the country roads to put the carcasses into. We shot hundreds and hundreds of shells, and the landowner provided them. Hundred shells at that time cost about $10, so it was cheap for the peanut farmers to provide shells to save a crop that might make them 10K.

I haven't heard about the roost trees, but that might be correct. I don't know. It would make sense though.
The reason we have a season on crows now is because of an international agreement years ago to protect the crows in europe that were endangered in exchange for protecting waterfowl in those years when they were scarce around here. The waterfowl were doing ok in Europe, but the crows were endangered. To this day, it doesn't make sense to me how all this came about, but its why "Greater minds than yours and mine make these decisions for us"
There is a provision in the law that says if they are guilty of taking grain or something like that the seasons don't apply. I'll have to look it up.

All that long winded stuff being taken care of, it is pretty fun to set up an owl decoy, and put on a recorded call and do some wing shooting:D

If anybody is interested.... there are people who really eat crow:D They only eat grain, so why not?

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They taste kind of like Robins. MMMM Goood.

:laughup: Thats good stuff!

All that long winded stuff being taken care of, it is pretty fun to set up an owl decoy, and put on a recorded call and do some wing shooting:Dhttp://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

I have an owl decoy, along with a crow calling tape and plenty of camo so i should be squared away! I knew there was a season but I never knew as to why the Fort Cobb area was the hot spot but due to the peanut farms that makes sense. Thanks for the info

Latest posts

Top Bottom