Don Hume J Frame IWB holster review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked this up used from an OSA member for an excellent price (thanks) and have worn it for a week or so for about 12 hours a day and thought I would report my findings.

First a couple of pictures. It is a Don Hume 715 open top with a steel clip

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_Hume715_1.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_Hume715_2.jpg

REVIEW:

Finish: If you have used Hume leather goods before you know that they are some of the best for the money. They use fine leather and they typically have an excellent fit. This version is no different. The stitching is tight and the edges have a nice rolled finish so there are no rough edges. The opening is reinforced so it stays open for re holstering.

The holster is smooth side out to aid in the retention of the weapon. I think if it was rough side out it might be a little more stable in your pants but the weapon retention might not be as good. Maybe they know what they are doing :)

Performance: If you are an IWB type of person (which I am) you know that stability is the cornerstone of a good IWB holster. The clip doesn't lend itself to the most stable platform but when worn over the belt (instead of under it) it actually holds pretty steady. One note is that if you have a thick belt (thickness, not width) the clip won't close completely over the belt and there is a danger of it slipping off. As long as you wear it over a good gun belt you will be good to go.

The cant is straight but the gun will "find" its most stable position on the belt and that might actually be a little bit of cant. Mine does cant a little.

Overall: I LIKE IT! This is an exceptional value in a holster and I think I will use it for a while for my knock around revolver. Which brings up a good point; This review is for a snub nose J frame revolver. I don't know how well it will work for other guns.

Here is a picture of it on my strong side at about 3 o'clock.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_IMAGE_231.jpg

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ADDENDUM: I forgot to give my rating of 4 hollowpoints (out of 5) Would be a 4.5 if it had belt loops instead of a clip. Also the color that Hume calls brown is actually more cordovan. if it matters to you.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don Hume does now make the holster with leather loops (with snaps) as the model http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_5&products_id=34

The original 715 is on closeout in both black & brown. I've used the same Don Hume 715 for Sig 239 and for (briefly) a Glock 27.

The 715 worked well for the 239. The trick with the clip is to fit it to a belt/pants set that fills, but does not overfill the clip space. It is reasonably secure in that scenario.

The 715 did not work well for a Glock 27. The clip positions too high, making the carry of the gun too high for proper security. It now occupies my "failed holster" drawer. I'd imagine that the leather loop version mentioned above will be okay.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would like to review that one. I would be curiouis to see if the loops cause it to ride too high? With a snubbie you dont have much in your pants to begin with. (thats what she said)

PLUS, I don't think you can get a belt loop between these straps like you can on a Summer Special

awww.donhume.com_images_large_2008_h715msoot_LRG.jpg

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have that exact holster for my wife's 642, and it works fine for the airweight j frame. However, I also have the loop design holster for the Kframe. I carry a 2 3/4" Speed Six in it, and it works, but is not stable enough. The butt and frame of the gun ride too high for it to be secure with the short barrel. If I carry my wife's Security Six with the 4" barrel it's great.

I wonder if the Glock 19's longer barrel would make it secure in the DH 715 holsters?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the PCCH because of the backing, I carry a g27 in it. It also fits my 4" SA champion with the rail, kinda cool, two guns 1 holster. That was a great review Burklee, I think Ill try one of those for my T 85ss, I carry it in a slide or Uncle Mike #3 IWB "Hack Method" or in my front pocket.:respect:

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have that exact holster for my wife's 642, and it works fine for the airweight j frame. However, I also have the loop design holster for the Kframe. I carry a 2 3/4" Speed Six in it, and it works, but is not stable enough. The butt and frame of the gun ride too high for it to be secure with the short barrel. If I carry my wife's Security Six with the 4" barrel it's great.

I wonder if the Glock 19's longer barrel would make it secure in the DH 715 holsters?

The G-19 should be fine in either the clip or 2 leather straps (with snaps) version. A G-19 has a slightly longer slide than a Sig 239; the Sig worked fine with the clip version.

The M. S. O. version (2 straps) should ride lower on the belt, due to the location of the straps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom