Steel case ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out re-qualifying with my Kimber 1911 this evening, when an officer from another town noticed I was shooting Wolf ammo. He said that steel cased ammo is hard on pistols.
I don't really want to hear any opinions on this, but do any of you know of a study done on the effects of steel cased ammo on pistols, or is this just an old wives tale, or in this case, an old cop's tale?

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was out re-qualifying with my Kimber 1911 this evening, when an officer from another town noticed I was shooting Wolf ammo. He said that steel cased ammo is hard on pistols.
I don't really want to hear any opinions on this, but do any of you know of a study done on the effects of steel cased ammo on pistols, or is this just an old wives tale, or in this case, an old cop's tale?

Well the guy I bought my m&p from said he used to shoot wolf in competitions in his beretta. Said he wore out three barrels before an extractor finally broke... Did the extractor break from shooting steel cased ammo or because of the fact he had shot 100,000 rounds out of the gun? :anyone: Guess we'll never know.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have any studies on it, but I have shot thousands of rounds of Wolf and Bear ammo in 9mm and 45acp. I've never had any problems with extractors breaking. The only thing about the Russian ammo I don't like is that the powder burns dirtier than other brands, but I'm going to clean my pistols anyway, so it's not a problem. I know you didn't want to hear any opinions on this, but sometimes you get them anyway. :D

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. As for the opinions, I just didn't want to hear opinions starting with "Well, I heard that..." Opinions based on your own personal experience is very welcome. Sorry if I came off wrong. I agree with Okie..for the price, even if it shoots a little dirty, I'm going to clean my gun after I shoot anyway, so no big deal. Anybody know of anybody selling bulk .45 ammo that has it in stock? Our department finally ordered a bunch of ammo from Sportsmans Guide just to get in line. Right now delivery is pushed back to sometime in march. The zombie war could start before then.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does your rangemaster say?

My only issue is that it can be hard on the extractor. Rock River says that you shouldn't shoot steel casings through their new AR's because it expands differently than brass... not sure about that though.

Sorry for the opinion... but I've never had any issue with steel casing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom