First M-1 Garand purchase, Info?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All, I have the bug to buy a M-1 Garand. I have been surfin the web reading about the things to look for and places to get one. Of course many say go with CMP. I have also been refered to Ohio Gun Company by a local shop. I have also seen many refurbishers that have them. Just wondering what you all think.
Thanks.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One of the best ways to find a good one is to talk to people who shoot the military rifle matches. They will often know some older people who can't shoot any more, and would be happy to find a good home for their piece of history.

I got mine in a similar manner, and let me tell you, it is so much better than anything I have seen at gun-shows, or stores, that it's hard to believe. And I got it for less than most you'll see to.

If you can handle a wait, and don't need to get your paws on it first, look at the CMP.

I'll post the thread to mine, just cause I like to gloat hehe. Actually I feel blessed to own a piece of history, especially one in the condition mine is in

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46425

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote for CMP.

I have purchased about 15 Garands from them over the years (unfortunately, I don't still have 'em all...), and I've only been let down once.

I'm completely to blame on that one time, as it was a Garand that I picked out by hand up at the North Store in Ohio. It was heavily pitted below the wood line and didn't know it until I got it home.

Other than that, each and every one has well exceeded my expectations and has been a superb value for what I paid.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
+1 on CMP!!! You really would have a hard time doing better than what they offer in the way of M1 Garands. Their rating system often is conservative, and their prices are among the lowest around. Their customer service is excellent, too. Unless you find a M1 at a gun show being sold by a clueless individual, or can get one from a close friend or family member, you're probably not going to get a M1 any cheaper.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1 on CMP!!! You really would have a hard time doing better than what they offer in the way of M1 Garands. Their rating system often is conservative, and their prices are among the lowest around. Their customer service is excellent, too. Unless you find a M1 at a gun show being sold by a clueless individual, or can get one from a close friend or family member, you're probably not going to get a M1 any cheaper.

Also if you don't know much about a Garand, go CMP, that way you won't get taken if you don't know everything to look for.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My CMP Field grade that I ordered showed up a couple weeks back. Worth every bit of $595. Barrel has had only a few rounds down it, op rod is new, rest has lots of finish. Wood is original GI, with faint cartouche. Some field grade M-1's get new CMP wood; I prefer the original GI, even if it has a few dings in it. The lower grades are less money, but not as nice, especially if it is bought to be shot a bunch.

I can recommend CMP.

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The CMP has gotten their backlog shipped. My last SASG arrived 32 days after I dropped the order in the snail mail.

The CMP specials are definitely worth the wait, completely restored, tight as the day they left the factory.

No one has mentioned it yet, don't buy factory 30-06 off the shelf and shoot it in your Garand, the load will bend the operating rod, at best and worst break it off, and "shoot yer eye out"

The CMP is currently sold out of surplus M2 Ball ammunition, but has acquired another lot of HXP (Greek surplus) that will be available in 2010.

Good shooting, but be warned; Granditus, leads to Grandaholics, from which there is no cure. Either one is much stronger than Black rifle disease. (in fact it will cause black rifle disease to go into remission)

Best regards

Latest posts

Top Bottom