Does anyone have any experiance with the custom turret scopes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I saw last months cover of "Shooting Times" I knew I had finally found my new rifle. Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5X284 Norma. Now don't know what glass to use. Have looked at the Huskamaw, and the Graybull precision, but they are a little out of my range. Would like something similar with about $6-700 to spend. Any suggestions?

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depending on what scope you decide on you can buy custom made turrets for a number of scopes. Leopold makes them and some does kenton industries http://www.kentonindustries.com/ They can make them for a particular bullets/load or you can use your actual come ups and they will make it custom for you.

Those are exactly what I was hoping for. I am trying to get every advantage I can, because I am sure the rifle will be able to outshoot my capabilities. Thank you so much!

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You may already know this, but barrel life for a 6.5x284 is about 1000 rounds. They are barrel burning suckers.

I have heard that, but it somehow just seems to have drawn me in. I have always wanted something in a 6.5 because of the long range characteristics. Looked at the Creedmoor also, but Norma still seemed to have the edge. I know that the rifle will probably have more potential than I can squeeze out of it, but man its going to be fun trying. Thanks.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard that, but it somehow just seems to have drawn me in. I have always wanted something in a 6.5 because of the long range characteristics. Looked at the Creedmoor also, but Norma still seemed to have the edge. I know that the rifle will probably have more potential than I can squeeze out of it, but man its going to be fun trying. Thanks.

Cool, it's a great cartridge, just wanted to make sure you knew.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had turrets made for several hunting rifles just to be disappointed. Things change, velocity, temperature, elevation, shot angle, just to name a few.

You can get into a leupold target scope that should be close to your price range. (greybull's scope is only a leupold target scope with .1/3moa turrets)

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this..get electricians marker tape with small 1-9 numbers at Locke Supply.
At the top of your turret label with appropriate number to coincide with your yardage.

If things change remove tape and start over.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had turrets made for several hunting rifles just to be disappointed. Things change, velocity, temperature, elevation, shot angle, just to name a few.

You can get into a leupold target scope that should be close to your price range. (greybull's scope is only a leupold target scope with .1/3moa turrets)

Do you "Count Clicks" with your current scope? Do you think I may be better served to just get a mil-click/dot scope and something like the mil-dot-master or ballisticard? Thanks.

ruger461

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try this..get electricians marker tape with small 1-9 numbers at Locke Supply.
At the top of your turret label with appropriate number to coincide with your yardage.

If things change remove tape and start over.

Never thought of that. What happens as you make another revolution though. I assume, (I know what happens when we do that), that the marks will get further apart as the yardage increases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom