Best ammo for a new P22?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wife got her new Walther P22 right after Christmas and I have heard that certain ammo is better than others with this gun...Any advice would be appreciated...Got a box of Remington shurshot high velocity 36 gr hollow points with it for about $10. Thats all they had at Academy at the time..What works best?

chodrick

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot the first 300 rounds through mine with Federal HV HP. I only had 1 FTF and 1 FTE which I thought was pretty good. Last Sat I went through 300 rounds of CCI mini-mags with no issues at all. The CCI's were about double the price but did 'feel' hotter and were still less than $9.00 for 100 round box.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Ran The Federal Bulk Box Through Mine With No Issues, Once It Gets About 500 Rounds Of Break In Time It Will Run Just About Any Quality .22lr Ammo.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
P-22's work best with the hottest ammo you can find.

I've read some articles where some have clipped a coil or two off the recoil spring and gotten good results.

Another option is the Aquila .22 subsonic that has that huge heavy bullet. It seems to produce enough recoil to make it work.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Winchester 333's hollow point. Went through a whole box of 333, not a jam or miss fire.

I would not do this. I had very good luck with a box of this stuff and then subsequently have had 3 boxes worth - each having at least 3-5 rounds whose casings expanded (in numerous guns) so badly that I had to remove the empty shell-casings with a cleaning rod.

I have since sworn them off completely. When they work, they work, but when they don't... they damn sure don't.

The best luck I've had lately is with the Winchester Grey-box (525 in a box maybe?) HV rounds, or the Remington Golden Bullets (Golden Bullets have gotten a lot crappier over the years - several good strikes with no fire in every 550 pack now days).

I've heard several folks say that before you run anything through it, run a box of Stingers (or a 100ct box of CCI Mini-mags) through it and then clean it thoroughly afterward and they'll typically run better.

Latest posts

Top Bottom