Question about carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an expert when it comes to gun laws, so I'm asking everyone here. Recently, a new guy was just hired at work. The company has a no gun policy. This new guy states that the rule doesn't apply to him because he's a volunteer sheriff's deputy and he can carry his weapon, even though he's off duty and at work at his "real job."

I just can't see how a volunteer sheriff's deputy who's off duty, at work at his day job can be exempt from company policy.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not an attorney, I just play one on the internet. ;)

Just from my past management experience as well as working with employees who were also reserve LEOs, this is my view of how it works based upon past experience.

The reserve/volunteer Deputy can carry in accordance to OK law and his agency's policies.

His non-LEO employer's policies do not override OK law.

However...OKlahoma is an at-will work State. Employment can be terminated for any reason at any time as long as it doesn't violate EEO laws (anyone with more info, please feel free to correct me or add to it).

So, even if he's allowed to carry by law, if he upsets his employer enough, the employer can terminate him for some other reason.

If I was him, I'd keep my mouth shut. Especially being the new guy. Most companies have a probationary period where you can be fired on the spot for anything.

I think he also needs to realize something else. Which job is putting food on his family's table? Being a volunteer officer (which probably doesn't pay anything), or his full time job that actually has a paycheck.

Dont bite the hand that feeds ya.

I work with some PIs and reserve officers. We keep our weaons in our cars out of respect for our employer.

(edit...I forgot the mention that I've also been with other employers that were cool with it, and the reservists carried all the time. But if the employer is adamant about 'no guns', he's most likely going to win the battle)

reddog1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep it in the car. However, even if there is a "No gun" policy, It is still up to the individual. If you have a concealed carry, and you choose to carry at work. KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. I mean, you can open your mouth about it, but you might not have that job very long.
I keep mine in the car, except for when its cold like this and my car is out in the parking lot warming up!

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's in his best interest not to carry at work. I was in the same position, being a reserve deputy and working for The Man. I followed my employer's rules to not risk my job. When I was off-duty and at work I left my sidearm in the car. When I was on duty and had to go by my office for anything it was okay to have my sidearm on. Tell him to just leave it in his car while at work. You can tell him because Rick said it would.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a reserve deputy not responding to a call for service, he's not in official duty status. He may have a concealed carry authorization card signed by the sheriff that allows him to carry concealed, but that same card does not authorize him to enter private property without permission or a warrant.

So in effect, the company cannot tell him he may not carry concealed. They can tell him that he's not welcome to enter their property though. If I were him, I'd rethink how I handled the issue.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard this many times..."concealed means concealed". He may do whatever he want, but all in all he must remember who writes the paycheck.

skyydiver

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. The policy is detrimental to the safety of employees.

2. The "volunteer deputy" is not exercising good sense to blab about his misunderstood "power".

You are working at a place with stupid lawyers writing policy and misinformed (probably with good intentions) youngsters packing heaters. Keep your head on a swivel and consider working armed, and quietly, yourself. ;)

dmac1647

Marksman
Reaction score
1. The policy is detrimental to the safety of employees.

2. The "volunteer deputy" is not exercising good sense to blab about his misunderstood "power".

You are working at a place with stupid lawyers writing policy and misinformed (probably with good intentions) youngsters packing heaters. Keep your head on a swivel and consider working armed, and quietly, yourself. ;)

+1 on this

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a reserve deputy not responding to a call for service, he's not in official duty status. He may have a concealed carry authorization card signed by the sheriff that allows him to carry concealed, but that same card does not authorize him to enter private property without permission or a warrant.

So in effect, the company cannot tell him he may not carry concealed. They can tell him that he's not welcome to enter their property though. If I were him, I'd rethink how I handled the issue.

Would this same theory apply to a full time LEO working a second job that prohibited weapons?

BC

medic5561

Marksman
Reaction score
I feel like he is miss understanding his power that he doesn't have off duty, his employer while at that job gets to tell him what they will tolerate and he need to just stick with that....AND FOR THE LOVE OF PETE TELL HIM TO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT NEW GUY.

Latest posts

Top Bottom