Why are so many people so dead set against thumb safety's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OologahBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally like guns with thumb safety's and I know alot or most the people on here are Glock people and I don't have anything against Glocks they shoot good but I like thumb safety's why do I see so many people just so set on not wanting a thumb safety and refusing to buy a gun because it has a thumb safety I just ask why?

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Because if you have to use a gun in a defensive situation, the last thing you need to think about is switching a safety off. You might forget in the moment and the gun will not go bang when you want it to. I much prefer carry pistols without thumb safetys for that reason. I have accidentally knocked the safety on in competition several times, especially when it has an ambidextrous thumb safety. It always surprises me and takes me a minute to figure out why the gun isn't running.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally like guns with thumb safety's and I know alot or most the people on here are Glock people and I don't have anything against Glocks they shoot good but I like thumb safety's why do I see so many people just so set on not wanting a thumb safety and refusing to buy a gun because it has a thumb safety I just ask why?

Thumb safeties have worked for a century, some people like them some people don't. Some people are efficient with them, some are not.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, No thumb safeties preferred on cc guns
But, especially NO
extended safety or slide stop
extended or oversize mag button
large adjustable sights

Imagine drawing your gun, the safety,slide stop or big sight snags on your clothes, the safety unbeknownst to you has flipped to fire, the big mag button gets bumped, dumping your mag on the floor, that 2lb trigger your so proud of goes off caught by a thread on your shirttail, shooting your foot.

thats why most people carry something like a glock with all rounded edges and as few as possible parts sticking out that could become a snag problem.
and can't fire until you actually put your finger on the trigger and pull.

just my 2 cents.
don't get me wrong I like my 1911,berettas, hi-power and all my other handguns. but I carry a glock for the simplicity.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because if you have to use a gun in a defensive situation, the last thing you need to think about is switching a safety off. You might forget in the moment and the gun will not go bang when you want it to. I much prefer carry pistols without thumb safetys for that reason. I have accidentally knocked the safety on in competition several times, especially when it has an ambidextrous thumb safety. It always surprises me and takes me a minute to figure out why the gun isn't running.

Practice... practice... practice...

Muscle memory doesn't build for several thousand draws.

You should have 10 times as many draws from the holster, defeating the safety and coming on target as rounds you've put down range from said firearm.

I'll take my 1911 over a Glock anyday.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I expect thumb safeties on my 1911's when I carry or compete with them. I don't expect thumb safeties on my M&Ps when I carry or compete with them. It's really that simple. I am accustomed to 2 different pistol platforms and act accordingly when time to draw and fire quickly with either type.

FYI, I would not buy an M&P with a thumb safety; it's not needed or desired for that type of pistol.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a safety/range officer, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen shooters draw their manual safety equipped pistol and not get the gun to go bang on command. There's usually a preganant pause before they figure out that they either didn't get the safety lever to the full off position, or didn't get a grip safety engaged far enough. I'm a fairly good shooter and it's even happened to me before.

For self defense, I like the KISS principle. Self defense guns that go bang with nothing more than a press of the trigger are the way to go IMO.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I worry more about if a thumb safety equipped carry gun has slipped off safe than I ever do about carrying a gun with no safety.
That said, I'm comfortable with either, provided the safety equipped pistol
is a

Latest posts

Top Bottom