Where/How to get started?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am finishing up my AR rebuild, and I am wanting to get into competitions sometime in the next year. How do I get started, what do I need, where do I go, when to sign up, etc?

If someone wants to PM me with some information, I sure would appreciate it.....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really depends on what kind of comp you want to do. Are you talking action pistol (since you are in the IPSC and IDPA forum) or 3 gun (cuz you are talking about your AR build)??

Either way just load up and come on out and watch. There are a ton of IPSC matches in the OKC area; IDPA (and IPSC) matches tend to be up around the Tulsa area. There are 3 guns here and there.

For IPSC the least amount of gear you can get away with is a belt, 3 or 4 mag holders, 3 or 4 magazines and a gun and holster.

For IDPA you need a vest for concealment and gun and holster. I am not sure whether you can use mag holders or not.

For 3 gun, grab a shotgun, your AR, with extra mags and a handgun, with extra mags. Belt and holster for the handgun and handgun mags.

You can check out these websites too:

USPSA Website

IDPA Website

IMGA Rules

USPSA also has 3 gun rules. That is the rulebook most commonly used around here.

H&H is a good match to shoot the first time. IPSC, 4 stages, small enough squads with talented enough shooters that you can get a lot of good help.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next months h&h match is 4 classifiers which in my opinion would make for four perfect first stages.
If you want to run that rifle a good match is the 2 gun practicke rifle at oil capital on the 1st Saturday.
Come out and check out our 3 gun match at okcgc on the 30th. If you need gear myself or someone else will most likely let you borrow stuff to get you started.
P.S. 3 gun is the most fun you can possibly have with guns!

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
next month as in February? id like to finish up my classification for revolver...

Yep.

2nd Sunday. 6:00 pm. But I would advise you get there a bit earlier. They seem to have more shooters each month. I can remember when we thought there were a TON of people if we had 20 shooters. Last night there were 55.

ChrisC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think that's due to the cold and everyone canceling matches. Since Im driving from McAlester Ill probably make a day of it and come up early and tool around.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think that's due to the cold and everyone canceling matches. Since Im driving from McAlester Ill probably make a day of it and come up early and tool around.

Uhmmmm, maybe, but I don't think so. That match has grown steadily since SGTLT started it. Those of us who used to run it and those who run it now took/take a lot of pride in putting on a fun, challenging match. It is a great match for starting out, learning how to set up stages and ROing, as well getting a little trigger time with some really good guys.

Be sure to introduce yourself if you make it down. I'll be the busty brunette with the G34 following OlYeller around! :lmfao:

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking for something to use your AR-15, the Practical Rifle Match at Oil Capitol is the first Saturday of the month. It's around 70 rounds of rifle and 20 rounds of pistol.

There is always an OKC group going to it so just let us know if you want to tag along.

Latest posts

Top Bottom