Digital scale vs. Beam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is the question. I just bought a Dillon 650 and that is all I have no dies, nada. I am going to have to piece my equipment together over time. I guess the same goes for calipers. I want to buy equipment only one time not buy something cheap only to upgrade later. I have read a lot on here and Brian Enos. Any other suggestions on equipment are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Both...if you can only get one, get the beam scale. I am an Ohaus/RCBS fan, but in reality, any good beam scale will be fine. I use my RCBS Rangemaster digital scale far more, but I check its accuracy against the beam scale.

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mititoyo calipers are the best, I have 3 sets, about 160.00 ea ( I'm a machinist )

What he said. I've used Brown and Sharpe and Fowlers at work and although nice, they just dont have the same feel of quality as the Mititoyo's I have at home.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A beam scale is fine for setting an automatic powder measure. You set it once then recheck occasionally.

The more expensive calipers are nice, but a $20 set will do fine for reloading.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cabelas standard caliper that I like, and I use the RCBS beam scale. I did buy a digital scale and ended up sending it back. The digital scales are sensitve to air currents, cell phones and such that can alter the reading. I now use the Lyman 1200 DPS II powder thrower/scale. And I check every 10 loads against my beam scale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom