Crazy idea: Shorten a Marlin 60 barrel to 16"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not worth the expense/hassle involved in shortening the mag tube.

Do what I did - either:

- Shorten an old (or new) Win/Rem/Moss/Sav/Stev/Marl/Glen turnbolt to 16" ($50 cut n crown), or
- Get a CZ 452 Scout (or "American 16"). If you add a simple slip-on recoil pad to the Scout, like a nice Pachmayr, it works for adults, albeit still a bit on the short LOP side.

I've done both.

Or, get yourself a Walther or 10/22 bullpup if you want a really short OAL.

Also, Rossi single shot .22s are like 16.5 bbl - really light handy simple rifle. And cheap.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not worth the expense/hassle involved in shortening the mag tube.

Do what I did - either:

- Shorten an old (or new) Win/Rem/Moss/Sav/Stev/Marl/Glen turnbolt to 16" ($50 cut n crown), or
- Get a CZ 452 Scout (or "American 16"). If you add a simple slip-on recoil pad to the Scout, like a nice Pachmayr, it works for adults, albeit still a bit on the short LOP side.

I've done both.

Or, get yourself a Walther or 10/22 bullpup if you want a really short OAL.

Also, Rossi single shot .22s are like 16.5 bbl - really light handy simple rifle. And cheap.

I also found that the Marlin 75 is basically a 60 with an 18" barrel. Plus there is a bullpup stock available for the 60.

I'm restoring a 60 right now and just picked up another one from here on the forum. I was thinking of building a compact 60 for my daughter.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shortened a Marlin 60. Matter of fact, it was traded on here a few years ago. Its not difficult, the hardest part is the magazine tube. I wound up fixing the tube in the stock, instead of the barrel. It functioned fine, and was quite accurate.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shortened a Marlin 60. Matter of fact, it was traded on here a few years ago. Its not difficult, the hardest part is the magazine tube. I wound up fixing the tube in the stock, instead of the barrel. It functioned fine, and was quite accurate.

I think I may try it. There are plenty of parts around for them so no great loss if I don't get it right the first time.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I did this mod years ago. Then I let a dang coon hunting buddy of mine con me into selling it to him. Man shouldn't be out any money for parts on this if he is handy with basic tools. I did the complete job myself with just hand tools the only part I bought was a saddle ring from Numrich.
It makes a sweet little fast handling carbine.

Pat

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think a Mod. 75 is the way to go. Mine is a Glenfield version and my favorite gun.

ai45.photobucket.com_albums_f76_larkintulsa_IMG_1181_1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom