Shot a S&W 460 today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffsoward

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wall and I went to H&H at lunch to squeeze off a few rounds. We began shooting and after a couple of minutes, we were surprised by a bright flash and a pressure wave.
There was a guy a few lanes down shooting his S&W 460. We, of course stopped and watched him shoot a few rounds and he asked if we wanted to try it out.
I can't resist trying out something new, especially shooting a gun. I told him I'd like to shoot it once.
It was AWESOME!
I wasn't nervous at all, just excited. It was very cool the way it tried to push my upper body back.

Anyone here have one? What is the difference (if any) between the 460 and the 500 Magnum?

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 500mag.
I have thought about trading it for a 460 because of the other ammo available. I would like to shoot a 460 just to compare. I wouldn't think there would be much difference but I don't really know.

Evyl Robot

Marksman
Reaction score
I want an X-frame really bad! Unfortunately, I just don't have the dough at the moment. One of these days... They are a real blast to shoot! (Pun very much intended.)

pokefun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad has both a .460 and .500. I don't mind shooting the .500 as long as I double up on the hearing protection, but I don't like to shoot the .460. It seems that every time I pull the trigger on the .460 it feels as if someone has stomped on my chest. Don't know what causes the feeling, but I really don't enjoy it.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a .454 Ruger and currently own a .500 S&W w/ the 8 3/8" barrel. The .500 is a pussycat compared to the unported .454!

It is fun to watch the smaller guys with the .500. I've seen a couple doubles like you see someone double an O/U. Shot doesn't quite sound right, and sure enough, two shots dispensed that sounded like one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom