glock cleaning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanscout

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've recently purchused a used glock 17. However, it did not come with the brush. Could someone point me to the best place to purchuse the cleaning brush and supplies in Tulsa. Also, since this is my first glock, any cleaning tips?

Thanks,

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi urbanscout,

Any cleaner kit that says it is for handgun should do just fine. It should say it can handle 357 or 9mm. I'd be surprised if you could find a kit that didn't handle these. Academy or Walmart.

Glocks are easy to clean. Field strip it after MAKING SURE MULTIPLE TIMES that it has no round in the chamber. Some may call me extra safe, but I remove the magazine, crack it open, check the chamber to make sure it is empty, make sure the magwell is empty, close it, then I have a little mirror from a broken compact my wife had that I use to verify there is no round in the chamber by holding the barrel so light shines in and using the mirror to see if I can see the firing pin hole and NO ROUND. Once I am very satisfied it won't go bang I will pull the trigger with it aiming in a safe direction and field strip it.

I clean the bore with some Hoppes #9. I then hit it with a dry patch, oil patch, dry patch. i then use the oil patch to wipe the entire barrel outside down. Set aside. I then repeat on the slide with an oil patch. When done, I use a paper towel to remove any excess oil. I wipe the receiver down with a paper towel. I then add a drop of oil to the connector and maybe half a drop to each slide rail. I add a some on the bottom lug area of the barrel and just forward of the barrel hood. I add a little oil wipe forward of the barrel hood top of the slide. A little wipe around the front of the barrel where it goes in the slide hole. Reassemble. Actuate the slide a couple times. Wipe off excess oil at the rear where the slide meets the receiver.

Good luck!

Alan

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just get a good pistol cleaning kit, hoppes #9, ur favorite gun oil, some patches and get into it. Also an old tooth brush, or ur wifes, works great.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum but please read the rules and stickys to avoid a future ban for posting in the wrong forum.

just curious where would be the correct forum for this question??

OP: you bought a nice combat gun there... like mentioned above be very careful as to make sure triple time the gun is unloaded.. ALWAYS point in a safe direction when you dry fire it.... Its very important to remember to use little oil around the striker and keep it facing the bench (down) when you brush in there..

Here's my system after everything is field striped.

I clean everything with good 'ol Hoppe's #9, then I clean the frame and other areas where excessive material may hide with common household alcohol. (this is to help evaporate Hoppes.) Then I oil the five points recommended by glock with Mobil 1 20w/50 V-Twin motor oil..

Stay safe..

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some may call me extra Anal, but I remove the magazine, crack it open, check the chamber to make sure it is empty, make sure the magwell is empty, close it, then I have a little mirror from a broken compact my wife had that I use to verify there is no round in the chamber by holding the barrel so light shines in and using the mirror to see if I can see the firing pin hole and NO ROUND.

There fixed it for you !!:D