How can you tell reloads/handloads from factory new

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys I really don't want to ask this question and sound like an idiot. But I don't want to destroy my weapon if I mistakenly buy somebodys reloads instead of factory new from the classifieds. Example: http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80352

This seems like a good price to me and I am sure the guy is on the up and up but before I sent him a pm i realized I don't think I could immediately spot factory ammo from reloads. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Furious_George

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm i really don't think there's a way to know 100%. It's really easy to make reloaded ammo look like factory ammo. But if the brass is dirty or has different headstamps, it's probably reloaded. I actually bought a 1903 from him yesterday and he's a very stand up guy. Shouldn't have any problems.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The certain bullet I use on my reloads are seated a few thousandths from the lands which exposes the cannelure quite a bit. Most factory ammo the bullet is crimped in the cannelure but that doesn't mean someone else reloads can't be. Just one thing to look for.

Badley

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is hard to tell. I would say never use anything that you are leary of. I use primer sealer on my reloads. I have seen it on Federal factory loads as well. If the brass is overly shinny then thats a sign of reloads as well. Pretty much comes down to trust factor in this instance. I dont kow hte guy, but some one else in this thread has dealings with him and says hes a stand up guy... then he probably is. One thing I have learned from online forums is that if your dishonest and a cheat, your gonna get raked accross the coals and everyone is gonna know. Thats my two cents.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm i really don't think there's a way to know 100%. It's really easy to make reloaded ammo look like factory ammo. But if the brass is dirty or has different headstamps, it's probably reloaded. I actually bought a 1903 from him yesterday and he's a very stand up guy. Shouldn't have any problems.

by no means did i mean to suggest he was anything other than honest, fair and well intentioned. i was just using his classifieds as an example. i'm glad your deal with him went well. thanks.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The certain bullet I use on my reloads are seated a few thousandths from the lands which exposes the cannelure quite a bit. Most factory ammo the bullet is crimped in the cannelure but that doesn't mean someone else reloads can't be. Just one thing to look for.

i'm gonna have to google that. you are waaaay over my head!

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is hard to tell. I would say never use anything that you are leary of. I use primer sealer on my reloads. I have seen it on Federal factory loads as well. If the brass is overly shinny then thats a sign of reloads as well. Pretty much comes down to trust factor in this instance. I dont kow hte guy, but some one else in this thread has dealings with him and says hes a stand up guy... then he probably is. One thing I have learned from online forums is that if your dishonest and a cheat, your gonna get raked accross the coals and everyone is gonna know. Thats my two cents.

that is kinda what i was thinking. it is probably more of a gut feeling and trust. and i'm sure this guy had nothing but good intentions, i was just using his classified as an example. i really hope i did not imply otherwise, that was not my intention.

Latest posts

Top Bottom