Spearfishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will send the question through the main OK Dept of Wildlife first and see what they say. I will post on the thread what the response is if I get a clear cut answer one way or the other.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally got an answer. The reply did not come from anyone specific and it was not signed. Just from, info <[email protected]>.

QUESTION SENT

Subject: Spearfishing regulation question

I notice the regulations say:
Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue
and channel catfish.

I used to spearfish in Florida often, but while freediving with Snorkeling gear. (Fins,Mask,Snorkel), no tank. Would spearfishing while Snorkeling/Freediving be legal in Oklahoma?

ANSWER RECEIVED

Yes, it is legal to spearfish while using snorkeling/free-diving gear.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I honestly doubt most know the difference between SCUBA and free diving. The regs specificly say SCUBA. So you're probably going to be at the mercy of the game warden's decision/knowledge.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I would have preferred the reply had been from someone named in law enforcement rather than a one line reponse from the wildlifedepartment general email. But it is not like it really matters. I asked more for trivia. Though I do have a pneumatic speargun from back in the day, who knows where I have it stored and who knows if it even works still.

Latest posts

Top Bottom