Spearfishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone here spearfish? I've got a speargun and snorkel gear and I've been meaning to try it out for the last few years. I've had the speargun about five years and have never used it. I was thinking Tenkiller would the best bet close to Tulsa. What other lakes have good water clarity?

ETA- Never mind, the regs. say it's only legal with SCUBA gear.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in FL and miss spearfishing BAD. What species are legal to be taken by spear, and does anyone have any links to laws/regs?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up in FL and miss spearfishing BAD. What species are legal to be taken by spear, and does anyone have any links to laws/regs?

In OK, you can take rough fish and catfish with a speargun. http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/fishregs.htm

I've tried it here a few times but haven't had much luck.

As far as freshwater spearing goes I would rather to go Arkansas where it's legal to spear game fish in most lakes and the vis is ussually much better than anything you will find in OK.

Last year I went to the Texas Gulf Coast to spear in the oil rigs and had a blast. We're planning another trip for this year.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I notice the regs say:
Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue and channel catfish.
I assume then that spearfishing while Snorkeling would not be legal then? :(
I did a lot of that on trips to the Florida Keys and had a blast.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I notice the regs say:
Spearguns used by SCUBA divers are legal for taking nongame fish, blue and channel catfish.
I assume then that spearfishing while Snorkeling would not be legal then? :(
I did a lot of that on trips to the Florida Keys and had a blast.

That's the way I read it. Doesn't make much sense, I don't why they would exclude free diving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom