Monarch Ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewheeley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Fayetteville, AR, and I've read many things recently about Monarch Ammo at Academy Sports being extremely cheap. There are mixed reviews online, but most of them agree that for the price, the reliability isn't an issue. The closest Academy to me is in Fort Smith, so I haven't had a chance to check it out for myself, but I read that they carry 7.62x39 at around $5 for a box of twenty. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's $5.99 for .223 in steel, so I might be $5 for 7.62 can't confirm 100% though. I've used about 600 rounds with no problems, fired 100% of the time from my Mini 14.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Monarch is repackaged Russian ammo. I think most of it is Barnaul ammo.

I've run plenty of 7.62 x39 through my AK and never had a hiccup.

I've heard some people complain that in pistol calibers it runs a little dirty, so you might not want to get for your pistols any unless your pretty religious about cleaning your gun. But for something like an AK or SKS your totally fine.

TMA-1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot the Monarch 9mm ammo when the local Walmarts run out of Federal or Winchester White Box. It's definitely less "clean" that most ammo, so a good post-shooting cleaning session is definitely in order.

All three of our pistols (Taurus PT99, Taurus PT111, HiPoint C9) chew through the box without complaint.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me the dirty issue isn't that big a deal.
I'm gonna clean my gun anyway.

But I generally don't shoot a lot of store bought ammo anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom