Problems with DPMS LR-308 accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As asked above, have you inspected the crown? Or, maybe you just got a Friday afternoon barrel. It happens. Did the rifle come with a accuracy guarantee?

It has the panther flash suppressor on it. I will try to take it off and check it out tommorrow. As far as accuracy gaurantee, I don't know. Do all DPMS's have an accuracy gaurantee?

jb

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has the panther flash suppressor on it. I will try to take it off and check it out tommorrow. As far as accuracy gaurantee, I don't know. Do all DPMS's have an accuracy gaurantee?

jb

I don't know if they have a specific written guarantee, but I've heard VERY positive things from the very few people who had problems and contacted DPMS about it.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Handloads with what bullet? Varget is great stuff but it isn't the cure all for every caliber with every bullet. Have any idea what velocity you were getting? Has the handloader made good ammo in the past?

I'd suggest you go buy a few boxes of quality ammo and try again. I'm not shocked blasting ammo is giving you 2.5" groups.

Does that model have a standard handguard and a heavy as heck trigger? Also perhaps contributing factors.

Good luck

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Handloads with what bullet? Varget is great stuff but it isn't the cure all for every caliber with every bullet. Have any idea what velocity you were getting? Has the handloader made good ammo in the past?

I'd suggest you go buy a few boxes of quality ammo and try again. I'm not shocked blasting ammo is giving you 2.5" groups.

Does that model have a standard handguard and a heavy as heck trigger? Also perhaps contributing factors.

Good luck

the loads were 150 fmj loaded by me so it might just be the handloader. I really don't have that big of deal with the 2.5" group if it was consistant because that could very easly be the shooter. However the 2.5" group I got was the only group I got. All other groups were minute of broad side of barn. I know I used to be able to shoot. When I took my .243 out to sight in before deer season this year I was getting 1" groups pretty easily.

So I guess I am going to have to get some match ammo and see what that does and go form there.

thanks for the input.

jb

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the loads were 150 fmj loaded by me so it might just be the handloader. I really don't have that big of deal with the 2.5" group if it was consistant because that could very easly be the shooter. However the 2.5" group I got was the only group I got. All other groups were minute of broad side of barn. I know I used to be able to shoot. When I took my .243 out to sight in before deer season this year I was getting 1" groups pretty easily.

So I guess I am going to have to get some match ammo and see what that does and go form there.

thanks for the input.

jb

I can only speak for the 223 DPMS uppers I have, but they will shoot 1 MOA or better with bulk ammo from Walmart.

One of the DMPS uppers I have apparently got dinged at some point during packaging or shipping. Here's a pic. I had my local gunsmith get rid of that little ding with a reamer and I think it may be my most accurate upper of all now.

[Broken External Image]

QTRMOA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try Hornady TAP 168gr or Federal 168gr match ammo.
If it will not shoot under 1" at 100 yards it could be a rifle/optic/ammo problem or the shooter.
I have a GAP AR10 that will shoot under 1/2" consistently. I will sometimes loan it out and most guys can only shoot a 3/4"-1" groups with it.
The AR-10 is a completely different animal and shooting one will differ from a bolt gun. It is crucial to keep the rifle from "bucking" so you need a good (NPA) natural point of aim from shot to shot to keep everything consistent.
(FYI the old Federal Match load was 43.0gr IMR 4064 and the 168g Sierra match bullet)

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I guess I am going to have to take back every mean, nasty, and down right rude thing I have ever said about my DMPS. I don't know what happened but something snapped and either the gun or I decided to start shooting straight. As you can see things early in the shoot weren't going very well. Then things started to tighten up. First I got the group with the 150 gr hand loads and of course that was my last 5 rounds and my last clean target. However I did still have 5 PRVI 165 grn soft points so I found my cleanest target and to my suprise I got an even better group. It might have all been luck but I will take it for now.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
:hot:

Latest posts

Top Bottom