Problems with DPMS LR-308 accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems getting consistant groups with there LR-308's? I have a LR-308 classic with 20" fluted barrel and JP trigger with Super Sniper scope and the best group I have gotten is about 2.5 inches at 100 yards, but most are a lot more. I have put about 150 rounds down the pipe. I have remounted my scope and still the same. I used to think I was a pretty good shot. I have only recently started paying attention to shot groups on paper, but I have shot minute of deer out to 300+ yards multiple times with bolt guns. As soon as one of my shooting buddys and can get the same day off I am going to let him shoot it and see if it is just me or the gun.

Any ideas??

jb

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I hear most shot sub-MOA. I've only shot two, personaly. One was a stock out-of-the-box 16" carbine with a Wal-Mart ~$50 scope. The other was a 24" "sniper" setup with Magpul PRS stock, palm rest, bipod, rear monopod, etc. Both could hit golfball sized rocks at 100 yds with surplus de-linked machine gun ammo . . . . and I was only a sharpshooter!

Jpt

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems getting consistant groups with there LR-308's? I have a LR-308 classic with 20" fluted barrel and JP trigger with Super Sniper scope and the best group I have gotten is about 2.5 inches at 100 yards, but most are a lot more. I have put about 150 rounds down the pipe. I have remounted my scope and still the same. I used to think I was a pretty good shot. I have only recently started paying attention to shot groups on paper, but I have shot minute of deer out to 300+ yards multiple times with bolt guns. As soon as one of my shooting buddys and can get the same day off I am going to let him shoot it and see if it is just me or the gun.

Any ideas??

jb

What ammo are you using? How are you shooting it (from a bench, prone, standing, kneeling, etc...).

There are a lot of proper things that you're supposed to do when shooting a rifle that most folks don't do (myself was included until someone told me I was doing them wrong).

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What ammo are you using? How are you shooting it (from a bench, prone, standing, kneeling, etc...).

There are a lot of proper things that you're supposed to do when shooting a rifle that most folks don't do (myself was included until someone told me I was doing them wrong).

Well lets see first we start off with a bipod off a picnic table and then we went to lead sled from picnic table and finally prone with bipod and bean bag. The first 100 rounds were prvi partizan and the next 50 or so were hand loads.

jb

weav199

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I hope it's just some weird thing. That's my next buy. I want a 16". Been looking at the duro-coated Remington AR10, and the LR. Can't make up my mind.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well lets see first we start off with a bipod off a picnic table and then we went to lead sled from picnic table and finally prone with bipod and bean bag. The first 100 rounds were prvi partizan and the next 50 or so were hand loads.

jb

PRVI makes a lot of ammo - what kind was it and what weight?

Also, the hand-loads (if not developed to your rifle/chamber) might not mean much no matter how well they were made.

I've got a bit of money tied up in my barrel and I found several brands of off the shelf or bulk ammo that my rifle didn't like - and believe me it wasn't the barrel.

pktrkt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is the 'Sportical' model with the 16 in barrel and right outa the box it would get around 1.5 in with SA mil-surp. That's what I 'shot' it in with. Shoot clean, shoot clean, shoot clean... you get the picture. Still have less than 200 rounds but am cleaning after every 5 rounds now. Using some hand loads worked up by a friend now and can say the weapon is more accurate than I am. Here's a pic took with cell phone, not a great pic but you can see my set up.

P.S. That's a white bunny on the stock some kid stuck on there for effect.

ai253.photobucket.com_albums_hh76_preecherr_dpmsbunny.jpg

dochawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PRVI makes a lot of ammo - what kind was it and what weight?

Also, the hand-loads (if not developed to your rifle/chamber) might not mean much no matter how well they were made.

I've got a bit of money tied up in my barrel and I found several brands of off the shelf or bulk ammo that my rifle didn't like - and believe me it wasn't the barrel.

It was PRVI 150 gr in the blue box and the handloads were worked from 43 gr of varget to 45 gr with 43.5 gr giving me the 2.5 inch group.

jb

Latest posts

Top Bottom