Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone hear anything about this pistol? Here's some info from the SHOT show.

Another major announcement was the new Bodyguard line by Smith & Wesson. There was a .38 +p revolver that left me non-plussed, but the .380 pocket pistol was a real show-stealer. Slightly larger and heavier than competing products like the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT, the Bodyguard .380 has a number of industry-leading features:

• built-in touch activated laser aiming device developed by Insight Technology
• very slim low profile positive manual safety
• multiple strike capability

The trigger of the Bodyguard was outstanding. All of the controls worked well. Dropping the magazine, reloading the gun, and dropping the slide with the slide release lever were all very easy. The new Bodyguard is definitely the most shootable of the .380 pocket pistols. With a 6+1 capacity, the Bodyguard .380 will almost certainly replace my LCP as a back-up gun

Built in laser might be okay, and I like the multiple stike capability. But a pistol this size, in .380?? What with problems finding decently priced ammo? And the thing has a suggested retail price of over $500.00. I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Not when you can get any number of small framed handguns in more powerful calibers.

And, isn't a "outstanding trigger" and "S&W pistols" an oxymoron??? I've had several Smith pistols over the years and none of them had triggers that could be described as anything other than horrible. Especially in DA mode.

I just don't see this as a good move on their part. Any of you feel differently or have any experience with this gun?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda hard to have experience or feelings without assumptions, for gun that hasn't shipped yet.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does "multiple strike capability" mean it is a repeater?

Does it mean you can whack your target with it if it fails to fire?

This is an "industry leading feature?"

Another hard-hitting review by an independent journalist that we can all trust.

jej

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kinda hard to have experience or feelings without assumptions, for gun that hasn't shipped yet.

Sorry, I wasn't aware it hadn't shipped yet. Someone else said it's already on Smith's website. I just can't access it from here at work. I'm pretty surprised I can access this place from here at work.

Does "multiple strike capability" mean it is a repeater?

Does it mean you can whack your target with it if it fails to fire?

This is an "industry leading feature?"

Another hard-hitting review by an independent journalist that we can all trust.

jej

LOL You can whack the target if you want to in a FTF situation. Me? I'm throwing it at them and running.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But a pistol this size, in .380???

They're just doing like everyone else and captializing off a new market. Lot's of people are starting to carry these days and a little 380 seems to be an attractive option to them. I've never been a big fan of this little mouse gun caliber but it probably does fall into the minimum requirement for a self defense round. I've got one that I carry occassionally when I don't fill like I need one but I like the security of having something. Better than a rock or sharp stick for sure and a good bit better than a 22 or 25.

HowardCohodas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out this on S&W's web site: New Bodyguard. Some videos available at this link as well.

Bud's has it listed for you to place it on your wish list. They will notify you when it is available and what their price will be. Their estimated price is $432 as compared to the MSRP of $575. S&W BODYGUARD 380 109380 2.75 LASR BLK

S&W Press Release

<snip>
BODYGUARD 380 Pistol

Compact, sleek and ergonomic, the BODYGUARD 380 delivers personal protection in an easy-to-carry platform. Chambered for .380 ACP, the lightweight pistol features a high-strength polymer frame with a black, Melonite(R) coated stainless steel slide and barrel. The new BODYGUARD 380 is standard with a 2 3/4-inch barrel, which contributes to an overall length of 5 1/4-inches and an unloaded weight of only 11.85 ounces.

The new pistol features a double-action fire control system, which allows for rapid second-strike capability. The BODYGUARD 380 has been further enhanced with a smooth trigger pull. Adding to its simplicity, the BODYGUARD 380 is standard with a manual thumb safety and an external take down lever and slide stop. On the lower portion of the frame, the pistol has been fitted with an integral INSIGHT laser, which is easily operated by both left and right-handed shooters. With its slim-line ergonomic grip, the pistol is comfortable in the hand and points naturally. To help aid in quick sight acquisition when the laser is not in use, the pistol includes black, Melonite-coated, stainless steel, drift adjustable dovetail sights. The BODYGUARD 380 is standard with a 6+1 magazine capacity.

<snip>

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 5.25" long, isn't that the same size as a Baby Glock, or a Kimber Ultra? Kind of big compared to some of the other new .380s isn't it?

Nope. The Glock 26 is 6.29" long, and the Kimber Ultra Carry II is 6.8" long, so the Bodyguard is a fair bit shorter.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all reality if I'm gonna carry a 380 I'd just as soon it be as small as possible. Otherwise I'll tote something a bit more powerful.
But that's just me. Like I said I've never been a big fan of the little autos.

Latest posts

Top Bottom