Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmcbeat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think I will pass, the last time S&W introudced a .380 acp it was a Sigma. I bought, pot metal slide and all. Probably the worst gun I have ever owned.

HowardCohodas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying. But I just don't really see the point in a laser on a BUG, which any .380 would be for me. It being a .380 relegates it to very short range use in my mind. Most likely at or very close to contact distance. I don't think the laser's going to do much in that role. It is a good marketing ploy though and I bet it does sell. It is kind of cool looking but I'll stick with more powerful platforms.

I will not EDC any firearm without a laser on it. That's why I don't EDC my M&P 45c even though I prefer it to my M&P 45fs. This is primarily for the laser's training benefit over its tactical benefit. Dry fire in your home a couple of times per week will do a good job at maintaining a smooth trigger pull. No travel to the range, no range fees and no ammo fees. And, in my opinion, superior trigger discipline maintenance.

Furthermore, any 380 will not be my primary but is quite adequate as a BUG.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After racking my brain and looking at several pocket guns I'm waiting for this one to come out to see what it's all about. The LCP and Kel tec grip angle just plain sucks to me. I like the Seecamp but Silvertips only? Seriously? I will say that the DB380 seemed to be a well designed little gun.

HowardCohodas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you explain further the training benefit of the laser?

B

In my view, the primary benefit to the laser is as a training tool. Red dot movement during trigger pull amplified by the 12 to 20 feet distance available in my house provides ideal biofeedback training. Your brain will not be able to ignore it, even if you are focused on the front sight. Biofeedback will probably be more successful in developing a smooth trigger pull than all but the best trainer/coach. With the price of ammo and range time it doesn't take many dry-fire practice sessions to "pay" for the laser and you will be better trained to boot. Furthermore, trigger management is a perishable skill that needs to be constantly renewed and few of us get sufficient range time and personal coaching to keep us at a level of performance necessary if that day comes.

MPC1974

New to the site!
Reaction score
I was quite surprised by the posts some people made on this topic. Likewise there were some pretty reasonable comments from some intelligent people as well. Most of the complaints people made were without having ever put their hands on the gun, let alone having ever shot it.

Sure, we all have preferences but the short minded statements are pretty sad.

Tell me about another pistol that, for a similar price, has a manual safety, automatic slide lock, takedown lever, laser, and is as thin / short as this model, stainless barrel / slide all in a .380 with a laser (or laser added on).

Give me a comparison to the Ruger LCP or a KelTec: no manual safety, no automatic slide lock, no take down lever (it has a pin), same length, slightly thicker than the Smith, same capacity and once you add a laser is the same price if not more. Also, tell me, on a daily carry pistol, what laser do you really trust to be as accurate as when installed? The bolt on or the integral one? (Ok, the Ruger is lighter, but add on the weight of the laser and see what they add up to! Funny how CT does not post that specification on their site but I am guessing less than an ounce.)

The Kahr is closer, but still no safety or slide stop. Has a stainless slide and barrel like the S&W. Height and length are damn close to the Smith and Wesson but Kahr labels their thickness as .75" for the slide, the S&W is .75" for the pistol. Now add $180-200 for the laser and where is the Kahr?

Would be nice to see a true comparison with real world specifications for a bunch of guns, but each one I read seems to leave out some important details or only compares apples to oranges. I have nothing against the Ruger or Kahr, hell I was about to but the LCP in a few weeks when I heard about the S&W.

I am still holding judgement until I put my hands on one, and have read a few reviews, but my local gun shop quoted me $439 once they get them, and they have a waiting list that I am #27 on!

How about feeding and performance of different ammo types? I have read WAY TOO MANY statements from owners of both the KelTec and Ruger about failure to feed or eject different types of ammunition. My personal experience with Smith and Wesson, they will eat any ammo you give them. I am expecting to hear the same in reviews of this pistol as well.

Would love to hear some details from someone who has actually SHOT ONE!

We'll see if my tune changes in 6 months if I get one!

(Damn, am I ranting, sorry!)

GMate 8281

New to the site!
Reaction score
I agree with the previous post. This is one well thought out gun. It includes the laser and manual safety which are good for new shooters, less experienced, or safety minded people. Many gun owners seem to be hyper paranoid, carrying loaded ready to fire for 50+ years seems highly possible to have an accident. The average civilian, I believe, wants some protection in certain circumstances and as it seems appropriate to have the chamber loaded and safety off will put the weapon in that condition. Most of us have lived 40 + years and never needed one and many people, I believe, prefer the manual safety and quick acquisition a laser may provide. I'm not referring to law enforcement or street thugs who deal drugs, I'm talking about average 25-75 year old people who don't frequent bars and inner city areas. If I'm in Walmart, school, or church ? and someone needs to be stopped my wife and/or I may ? have the time to remove the safety. If I was dumb enough to be a convenience store clerk I would carry a .45 bolted to the bottom of a 12gauge pump.
I live in the suburbs and have a M&P 9c which seems too heavy for constant carry. In my opinion, S&W has found some new engineers or finally let them use some creativity to develop some great guns. My M&P is bulletproof with over 2000 rounds and 0 malfunctions and this Bodyguard .380I hope will allow me to carry constantly. I want a weapon that I can have on me sitting in a car, in my swimsuit at the beach, at the movies, in shorts, or on my couch. I don't want to run upstairs or leave one in my coffee table or hidden somewhere where any kid would find it. I know the paranoid type, I have a cleaning company and I find guns under beds, in pillows, on nightstands, behind pictures, in vases, end tables all places any child can get them. And most children when they are extremely pissed would shoot someone or by accident pretending. I don't have much against the Ruger, Kel Tec, or Kahr but I've read about jams, they seem cheap(flimsy quality) except Kahr and none have safeties. I also believe that families in the suburbs who'll let a gun in their home will be glad to pay whatever for it. If I had the choice to buy 2 Cavaliers or 1 Corolla well I don't like to sit on the side of the road!!!!! Same with weapons, I don't want any possibilities to jam even if it costs me 2 1/2 times the price of another! I want Quality with NO and I mean NO exception in a weapon to protect my life and others. That's why Glock has so many followers and most government contracts. This weapon would allow you to carry it on your person without much discomfort and if your wife also carries would be very effective in all but the gravest situations. PS. Gun and mag manufacturers, we don't need 3,4, or 5 more rounds just 1 maybe 2 if it doesn't alter the size too much!

stewj21

New to the site!
Reaction score
After racking my brain and looking at several pocket guns I'm waiting for this one to come out to see what it's all about. The LCP and Kel tec grip angle just plain sucks to me. I like the Seecamp but Silvertips only? Seriously? I will say that the DB380 seemed to be a well designed little gun.

GMT, ever been to Barksdale AFB? I've seen your quote written on a bathroom wall there. Pretty much covers things! On to the SWBG380...

-bought mine a week ago at $440. from a local dealer (KY)
-shot 10+ year old Federal fmj, Magtech 95 gr jhp, and Federal Hydrashock through it with no FTF
-recoil about the same as the Ruger LCP (maybe a little less)
-BG380 felt better in my hand than the Ruger or Taurus
-typical long trigger pull for a pocket gun (it IS a pocket gun)
-laser zeroed in less than 10 minutes. like the laser a lot (first time used one)
-like the external thumb safety
-sites are much better than Taurus or Ruger

After initial testing I sold my Ruger LCP and decided to carry the Smith for warm weather concealed carry. I am using the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and it is working great in back or front pocket.

MidwayUSA had the Hydrashock ammo for $15.11 per box and the Nemesis holster for $18. in case anyone is interested. I really need spare mags. Anyone know a source that has them in stock yet?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GMT, ever been to Barksdale AFB? I've seen your quote written on a bathroom wall there.

Years ago one of my friends came back from 29 palms and shouted it in the middle of a bar. I dunno where he heard it.

FWIW, I ended up going with a Kahr P380. It's been perfect so far.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got one today for $369 at H&H, they were $20 cheaper than Big boys guns and ammo(also were out-of-stock). Never had a gun with a laser before, prolly wont use it, but hey...its there...

GMT, ever been to Barksdale AFB? I've seen your quote written on a bathroom wall there. Pretty much covers things! On to the SWBG380...

-bought mine a week ago at $440. from a local dealer (KY)
-shot 10+ year old Federal fmj, Magtech 95 gr jhp, and Federal Hydrashock through it with no FTF
-recoil about the same as the Ruger LCP (maybe a little less)
-BG380 felt better in my hand than the Ruger or Taurus
-typical long trigger pull for a pocket gun (it IS a pocket gun)
-laser zeroed in less than 10 minutes. like the laser a lot (first time used one)
-like the external thumb safety
-sites are much better than Taurus or Ruger

After initial testing I sold my Ruger LCP and decided to carry the Smith for warm weather concealed carry. I am using the Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and it is working great in back or front pocket.

MidwayUSA had the Hydrashock ammo for $15.11 per box and the Nemesis holster for $18. in case anyone is interested. I really need spare mags. Anyone know a source that has them in stock yet?

Latest posts

Top Bottom