Best gun for SS in USPSA and IDPA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
There a couple of nice Springfield 1911 for sale in the classifieds right now and I am seriously considering buying one for USPSA SS division and eventually IDPA. I was planning to get an STI Spartan or a Trojan but these Springfields seem to be priced right. What is your take on the STI's vs. The Springfields for competition? Will I have to add sights or ambi safety to one or the other thereby costing me more money in the long run. Thanks.

Also how do the triggers compare for those of you that have shot both? Will both brands need a trigger job regardless?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for the following features: fitted magwell, good milled-in sights, beavertail grip safety and checkered front strap. It is costly to add any of them after the fact. It is best if the gun is of the final finish that you desire.

At any point on a gun with the above you can: upgrade the action with a kit, upgrade the sights to another that fits into the milled slot, go to whatever configuration of ambi thumb safety you want.

A stainless steel gun will look pretty and shinny, but will not be fit as tight as a carbon steel gun. Hardchrome is costly, but is tough to beat for long term durability.

rockon71385

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get the most reliable 1911 you can find. There are lots of little extras, and some of them are very valuable, but reliability is king in competition.

FWIW I've had 2 springfields, 1 mil-spec and 1 loaded version, as well as an STI Spartan. I would stay away from anything mil-spec for competition. The STI and the Loaded springfield both shot really well, but neither one ran 100% which is the most important factor of all. I'm sure with some olyeller magic either one could have been a good competition gun.

dauthement1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a SS gun myself, trouble is finding a used 1911 in 40 S&W, guess i'll just have to shoot my Kimber 45acp till i save enough pennies to get the Trojan in 40 S&W so i can reload the same rounds for my limited and SS guns!!

Lance Jensen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently started shooting SS with a Casian race ready in .40 cal. Gun had some trouble at first; turned out to be a magazine issue. Ended up getting the 10mm Tripp Research Cobra mags. Gun runs great now! I had the same thought... One load for limited and single stack. Difinitely more cost effective

Rob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's really hard to beat the STI Trojan for the money, I belive you can get them from Dawson for $995. I bought one and it has done nothing but run.

G Law

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a Springfield Loaded 1911 and never could get it to run. I traded it for a Glock and I don't like Glocks, thats how aggravated I was. I have a Kimber now and it runs all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom