I just inherited some very old shotguns/rifels need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandpa had a collection of guns he has had for years and all of them have some wear and tear but I think I may have a couple that look like they could be very expensive.. Here's a list of the model numbers

Winchester model 61
Sears Roebuck Model No. 340.530230 .22LR
Remington Fieldmaster Model 572 (color buckskin tan)
Springfield Meteor .22

This is my favorite
WW Greener double barrel side by side shotgun (thats the only writing i could find besides all of the engraving)

and another old style over under shotgun but it was so worn i couldnt read the model or name that was stamped long ways on top of the barrel. It has a lot of engraving like the ww greener but the top barrel wasn't rifeled but the bottom smaller barrel was rifeled.
Can anyone give me some advice on where I could take these to get them appraised?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dude that Greener might be extremely valuable. What action is it? According to my Standard Catalog, W.W. Greener took over for his father in London in 1869. His father was William Greener who apprenticed with Burnand of Newcastle and later worked for John Manton in London.

The Greener crossbolt action was developed by W.W. Greener and I saw it used by a number of companies both in England and here. All old companies I've never heard of. It apparently was a good one.

It lists pricing from $1000 to $100,000 depending on action type. If it's a sidelock ejector that one is listed for $3000 to $100,000. There are 3 other action types listed with the lowest price at $1000.

You need to find someone trustworthy to look at that one. Congrats and POST PICS!

Edit to add. I just saw this:
and another old style over under shotgun but it was so worn i couldnt read the model or name that was stamped long ways on top of the barrel. It has a lot of engraving like the ww greener but the top barrel wasn't rifeled but the bottom smaller barrel was rifeled.
That's called a drilling. And an English Drilling can be worth small fortunes depending on what it is. They can be worth not so much too. I'd check with the NRA or maybe the Museum (J.M. Davis) up by Tulsa. They might hook you up with the right person to evaluate what you have.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandpa had a collection of guns he has had for years and all of them have some wear and tear but I think I may have a couple that look like they could be very expensive.. Here's a list of the model numbers

Winchester model 61
Sears Roebuck Model No. 340.530230 .22LR
Remington Fieldmaster Model 572 (color buckskin tan)
Springfield Meteor .22

This is my favorite
WW Greener double barrel side by side shotgun (thats the only writing i could find besides all of the engraving)

Can anyone give me some advice on where I could take these to get them appraised?

Antique's Roadshow? :D j/k

A Greener?? That must be nice. I'd never heard of those before until seeing "Big Jake" with John Wayne many years ago. He asks his estranged wife, "Did you bring my Greeners?".

The "J.M. Davis" gun museum is in Claremore.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
yeah,we need pics and info. these kind of guns are like crack to gun junkies. i could sit and stare at a pic for hours. post,post,post pics!

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to take so long with the pics. I didnt want to offend any of the family by taking so many pics this soon so I just snapped a couple with my cell phone.

Here are the pics of the gun that "says" W W Greener on the side

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00064_20100304_2129.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00062_20100304_2128.jpg

Its very hard to see but here is the engraving where it says W W Greener
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00063_20100304_2129.jpg

Now this other gun I know absolutly nothing about. It has some name etched on the top of the barrel but it is so worn I cant read it but here's a pic. Again sorry for the quality
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00060_20100304_2127.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00061_20100304_2128.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00058_20100304_2126.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v172_Ohmyneck_IMG00065_20100304_2135.jpg

Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone. I greatly appreciate it.

NeverGiveUp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As you can tell from the pics they arent in prestine condition. I hate it that my grandpa didn't take care of anything he had and all of these guns were just sitting out in his garage with cotton balls stuck in the end so they didn't get any moisture in the barrels. He has a safe with several old colt, and winchester pistols that my grandma wants to give me but I havent gotten to see them yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom