Air Gun Q&A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Air Gun Q&A

Here's a response from a PM about Air rifles. due to the valuable nature of airgun practice really IMPROVING your firearm accuracy. especially true for magnum springers, which kick in two directions and are hold sensitive.

good airgun shooters are almost always good at shooting firearms. but not necessarily the other way around. got problems with accuracy shooting your pistol.... shoot a few thousand rounds with an old Benjamin .177 pump air pistol.... you cannot help but improve your accuracy, which transfers directly to your firearm skills.

there's naturally lots of interest in airguns in general. a super accurate reduced power air rifle is a useful tool to have around. over penetration is always a concern, for firearms or air rifles.

having just enough power to take out say a squirrel, rat, rabbit or Starling, etc can be useful indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What about RWS air rifles?

A: RWS air rifles made in Germany are OK and are known in the Airgun world as lower end air guns. German made Beeman are preferred due to Rekord triggers (world class)

RWS falls squarely in between low end Chinese airguns and high end German airguns.

don't believe airgun propaganda from reviews. professional airgun writers never meet a gun they didn't like. pellets speed ratings are generally lies too. always find out what chrony speeds are with pellets that you will be shooting.

you missed out on some new RWS airgun at Lashes for $125 when they closed. they were fairly nice RWS air rifles too.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Beeman R7 I picked up about fifteen years ago is super accurate. Have no idea what trigger it has, but it is very good. Went with a peep sight as older eyes have trouble with the iron sights. Death and destruction on Starling population.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beeman R-7 has a Rekord trigger and is one of the finest examples of German engineering.

barely puts out 6 ft lbs at it's prime.... or just barely enough power to take out a squirrel with correct placement. wrecks havoc on starlings and house sparrows. neither are native species, so have no problems shooting either one.

super quiet ... low power to avoid over penetration issues... ideal for low key plinking. trigger time transfers over to firearms.

if you can find a used one... jump on it!
easily one of the best airguns ever made.

The Beeman R7 I picked up about fifteen years ago is super accurate. Have no idea what trigger it has, but it is very good. Went with a peep sight as older eyes have trouble with the iron sights. Death and destruction on Starling population.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
like I said.... RWS are right in between German Beeman and Chinese air guns. which are coming up rapidly in quality. maybe I should clarify.... RWS before the flood of low end Chinese air guns was considered low end. but I could easily see how some could consider RWS mid to high range now. heck some folks think Gamo are high end air guns.

no disagreement, RWS are worlds better than Chinese air guns. then there's Mendosa, Gamo, etc. filling in the mid to low end. besides finish, guns with world class Rekord triggers makes the difference. not all Beeman/Weihrauch air gun have Rekord triggers. but most Weihrauch labeled Beeman air rifles did come with the fine Rekord triggers.

don't take my opinion on this... do a search ... most experienced air gunners prefer Beeman/Weihrauch to RWS. both are very durable air guns with similar builds.

in the last 5+ years, have purchased and shot, 100+ air guns of all different types. backed by 3 chronographs and tons of different type pellets.

Hogwash. They are *right behind* German made Beemans, and many many many light years ahead of Chinese stuff.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
like I said.... RWS are right in between German Beeman and Chinese air guns. which are coming up rapidly in quality. maybe I should clarify.... RWS before the flood of low end Chinese air guns was considered low end. but I could easily see how some could consider RWS mid to high range now. heck some folks think Gamo are high end air guns.

no disagreement, RWS are worlds better than Chinese air guns. then there's Mendosa, Gamo, etc. filling in the mid to low end. besides finish, guns with world class Rekord triggers makes the difference. not all Beeman/Weihrauch air gun have Rekord triggers. but most Weihrauch labeled Beeman air rifles did come with the fine Rekord triggers.

don't take my opinion on this... do a search ... most experienced air gunners prefer Beeman/Weihrauch to RWS. both are very durable air guns with similar builds.

in the last 5+ years, have purchased and shot, 100+ air guns of all different types. backed by 3 chronographs and tons of different type pellets.

I love the beeman airguns but how does my crossman fit into this.

Someone should make a chart. :smack:

Reaction score
like I said.... RWS are right in between German Beeman and Chinese air guns.

And like I said, NO they're not RIGHT in between (as in halfway between) - they are much much closer to the quality of german-made Beemans, and much further from the quality of other guns.

which are coming up rapidly in quality

Yes, they are - some of them.

heck some folks think Gamo are high end air guns

Not me - they'd be more like your alleged "right" in between than RWS.

no disagreement, RWS are worlds better than Chinese air guns.

Correct. But that contradicts your statement that they're "right" in between. They cannot be both worlds better and not far enough away to stay "right" halfway between them and Beeman.

then there's Mendosa, Gamo, etc. filling in the mid to low end.

OK, fine. Mid end. That's right in between. RWS is not in this category.

besides finish, guns with world class Rekord triggers makes the difference.

I cannot disagree with that - they are nice.

don't take my opinion on this... do a search ... most experienced air gunners prefer Beeman/Weihrauch to RWS.

As do I. I'm not taking issue with that - I'm taking issue with placing RWS way below german-made Beemans. Don't forget that Beeman stamps their name on some Chinese stuff too (the Sportster 1000 models).

both are very durable air guns with similar builds.

ThisiswhatI'msayin - their springs don't weaken after 100 shots like the Medoza Crosman I had.

I'll be interested to hear more of what you gleaned as we go along. :)

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
good grief... don't remember saying anything about half-way ... just that RWS is rated in between German Beeman and low end Chinese.... which it is.

again... RWS used to be considered lower end amongst air rifles, but due to tide of low end air rifles. result was it lifted RWS's status among air guns.

bottom line is.... if I'm spending my hard earned $$$... no way I'm getting a new RWS over a used German made Beeman.

Yes there is a difference in triggers between RWS and German Beeman. yes Beeman is guilty of sticking their label on Chinese air rifles. Is Beeman the only one with great triggers.... not hardly.

one of the best buys anywhere.... used FWB 300S with true 4oz match trigger. way more accurate than most shooters. used to find em for under $350.

Beeman R-7 and R-9 used in reasonably good condition for $275-$375 range. have not been as active in air rifles recently due to switch to firearms. so kind of lost track of current prices.

a used R-9 .177 is one of the best all around choices for a springer.
rocker safety blue/silver streak (made in 70's) is the best choice for pump ups.

for PCP Benjamin Discovery is a break thru rifle and highly recommended.

And like I said, NO they're not RIGHT in between (as in halfway between) - they are much much closer to the quality of german-made Beemans, and much further from the quality of other guns.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
depends on which crossman....

for instance, crossman 2240 pistol is one of the most modified CO2 pistols anywhere. loads of aftermarket goodies turns the 2240 into one of the nicest pistols anywhere.

the fab crossman MK1 CO2 pistol is another classic.... Mac1 does a mod based on MKI pistol called the LD. costs is about $500... it's a pistol that shoots like a rifle. wonderful toy!! I've had 4 of em and are now down to one.

lots of other super neat crossman air guns!!!

here's a pic of one of my old LD

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_ldsale.JPG

I love the beeman airguns but how does my crossman fit into this.

Someone should make a chart. :smack:

Latest posts

Top Bottom