Noob here. Ready to take the leap. Choices: SR9c, Bersa Thunder 9 Pro, Taurus PT911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fAlGore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been lurking here for a while and have enjoyed reading a lot of the discussion on nurmerous topics.

I don't have much of a history with guns. The last time I shot anything other than my son's bb gun is about 20 years ago. However, I am a card carrying member of the vast right wing conspiracy. As such, I feel like I need a gun.

In all seriousness, I read enough stories of attempt abductions, break-ins while people are at home (2 weeks ago, across the street from my house), I'm ready to take the leap.

Here are my gun buying considerations after doing much research:
  • I'm settled on 9mm. When comparing costs, availability and the ability to get the job done, this is the choice for me.
  • I don't either a full size gun or pocket piece either. At least initially, I only plan to purchase one gun. (Maybe a second for my wife, if she decides she wants it).
  • The gun needs to be easy to point, shoot, and be decently accurate.
  • I plan to conceal carry sometimes, but not all the time. My office dress is business casual (shirt tucked in). I'm neither especially big or skinny.

I have narrowed down my choices to 3:
  1. Ruger SR9c - People are raving about this gun on this forum. What I like: Small, light, narrow. People here indicate it is amazingly accurate. What concerns me: (i) DAO. I like the idea of firing a single action gun. However, reviewers I have read love the trigger on this; (ii) longevity.
  2. Bersa Thunder 9 Pro Ultra Compact - Similarly small. It's single/double action. Looks like it's built like a tank. I've seen lots of stellar reviews on this gun as well.
  3. Taurus PT-911. A little bigger and heavier (28 oz vs. 23 oz.). Also looks like it is built like a tank. Let's face it: Stainless Stell model is PRETTY! I have held a PT92 and really liked it, but it is huge! This has all the positive features of the PT92 in a small, lighter package. I liked the decock safety that allows it to be kept "cocked and locked". This gun is about $100 more expensive than the other 2.

There you have it! I would appreciate any of your comments or suggestions.

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i'd choose the sr9c, as i did in the last couple of weeks. and like you said it is very accurate and it fits my hand ver well, and thr trigger is one of the better auto's ive shot.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go rent and fire each gun, then pick the one that you like the best. The one that is comfortable in your hand, and you feel you shoot well, then.....well shoot....a bunch.

Good Luck on your purchase.

OSU Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with renting the guns at a range so you can see which fits you the best. One piece of advice I would give is to not make a decision based on the price of the weapon. Find what your comfortable with and go with it.

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like you I had been away from guns for 20 + years (and then mostly long guns) until last week. I considered the the S&W Sigma, the Ruger SR9, and the Taurus 24/7 Pro DS. All 9mm, all Stainless steel slides. I ultimately went with the Taurus because it fit my hand the best and being mid-sized something I could use for CCW. May be a little heavy though.

I've put 200 trouble free rounds through it and couldn't be happier with my choice.

If you go with the Taurus, be sure and give it a good cleaning BEFORE you take it to the range. They use a lot of packing grease.

Roarak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems to me that the Glocks, M&P's and XD's are pretty much the most popular newbie pistols right now. There has to be a reason for it! Any quality firearm will serve you well, just stick with the big names and try them all out and see which one fit you best.

Now for my biased opinion: I would look real hard at a Glock 19 or M&P9, both are very accurate and completely reliable plus would get you started in any of the gun games that you may find you really enjoy.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After you finally decide and purchase one do yourself a favor.
Take a couple handgun classes to improve your ability.

Then have fun and shoot regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom