2010 controlled hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Quality pass to Big Mac for archery already, so I'm already a winner, but will put in for others. Been putting in for the Elk hunt since 1970, and still have not won that one. Both of my buddies have drawn....:crying::crying::scratch:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know its the luck of the draw, but when my buddy drew out 5 years ago for the elk hunt, I went as his helper. I did a straw poll of the hunters that I met and found that about 1/3 had drawn out on their first attempt, and were in the 20's or early 30's. All the rest were in their late 50's up to one guy that was 82. All had been putting in for many, many years before getting drawn. I'm sure there were some there that I didn't talk to that had put in two or three times, but I never met any of them. Wierd how that played out.

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct, I was the only hunter on 1900 acres. It was like a guided hunt. The wildlife manager, Jack Waymire, said he's never failed to get a hunter a bull. I shot a nice 9x7 in a field at 9:00 am. They brought the back hoe down, chained up the legs and hoisted it into the back of Jack's truck. Took it to the office, lifted up by the back legs with the back hoe. It took me until dark to bone it out. Put the meat in their chest freezer and picked it up the next morning. I would say I got a hunt worth $4-5000 for 30 bucks. Again, I am one lucky SOB.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

I too got pulled the first year for the elk cow hunt at the Wichita Mtns. There were folks there that gave me a very hard time about it. I was 23 or 24 and they looked like they were gonna wait for me in the parking lot. lol

It was a very demanding hunt and I never did get a shot opportunity, but I had an absolute blast!

crappieslayer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was drawed for a cow elk tag and on 9/23/07 I had a slipped l5 disk from a injury just a couple of months away from the hunt here in oklahoma and I never made it for the controlled elk hunt ,sure missed out on a hunt of a lifetime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom