Do Tiny Auto Pistols Jam more than full size Auto?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do Tiny Auto Pistols Jam more than full size Auto?

Maybe I've only had bad experiences.... but all the small auto pistols I've ever shot had a tendency to Jam. making me feel like round in chamber was the only one I could count on.

The only auto pistol I'd CCW is one that I've put hundreds of round down the pipe with the exact ammo that I'll be carrying. otherwise it's reliability is suspect. have zero problems CCW my Gold Cup 1911 using FMJ. that is if I could stand the weight.

had zero feed issue with my 1911 Gold Cup, but still would not be comfortable carrying defensive loads. as I have not shot enough high $$ defensive rounds to know feed history.

Reliability with defensive ammo is where revolvers shine...besides being super light weight like 340PD... revolvers have dead nuts reliability with any type ammo. yes you do give up firepower, but having 5 for sure is better than 17 maybe.

so what's your experience with tiny auto pistols vs full size auto?

are they truly reliable with shot very little high $$$ defensive rounds? VS full size auto like 1911 and Glock. which have a good reputation for reliable feed.

-----------
retired German PPK .380 (aka safe queen)

ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_ppk.JPG

1911 Gold Cup
ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_goldcup3.JPG

current CCW 340PD
ahome.tulsaconnect.com_toug_cpf_340pd337pd.JPG

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to most of the reports in the Gun Mags say that the reason small semi-autos fail is because of the operators inability to hold it tight enough for it to cycle properly, If the gun is limp wristed then it will not fully cycle. It must be held quite solid because it does not have the heavy slide weight that the larger guns have and a slight jerk at the right time will cause a stove-pipe or misfeed.

I have never had any problems but I have rather strong hands, even if they have short stubby fingers on them.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on mouse guns, but I haven't noticed them being anymore apt to jam.
The lone exception was one Davis I had that was truely a jam-o-matic.
I scrapped it.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that a revolver is normally a sure thing, however, I've put thousands of rounds thru my SIGs with never a malfunction. Just clean em, grease em, load em and away they go. (P239, P229, P226, P220, P245). I did have a few malfunctions with my 1911 early on but it seems okay now (but I don't carry it.) My Kahr PM9 is what I consider a tiny semi-automatic. I would never have anything smaller. Although some people seem to have problems with them, mine has been perfect from day one with several hundred rounds fired thru it. That includes ball, 300 or so rounds of GDHP and a couple hundred rounds DPX. That has been my only experience with a tiny semi-auto. I believe most people that have problems with the Kahrs are probably not cleaning and lubing them properly.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Nice Walther PPK, and I'll take a guess its made prior to 1968. If thats the case then its probably reliable with ball ammo, and chokes on hollow points. Most of your older Walther PP/PPK/PPKs pistols were never meant to be shot with anything but ball ammo aka FMJ. Now some of the older ones will function just fine, a little polishing of the feed ramp will sometimes help these out. I have several pocket guns, and a couple a little larger but in the smaller calibers. A couple of them will run all day on FMJ fodder, but show them a HP, and forget about it, while others run fine with either.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would seem that way. In the American Rifleman article about mouse guns, the author tested all the major players and the only one that didn't malfunction was the Rohrbaugh.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read many times about 1911 shorter than commander length having lots of reliability issues, x2 for short 1911 in anything other than .45. I can't speak to this from experience.

The only short bbl auto I have shot a lot is a Glock 26. Very reliable.

jej

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just remember that some/most auto have a break in period.
Usually a couple 2 or 3 hundred rounds.
Get that out of the way and you should be okay.
And like stated above some will like ball ammo better than HP.
Find out what will work and go with it.

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on mouse guns, but I haven't noticed them being anymore apt to jam.
The lone exception was one Davis I had that was truely a jam-o-matic.
I scrapped it.

ya davis auto's suck, iv got a 380 somewhere...i think you get what you pay for when it comes to "little heat"...:bye:

Latest posts

Top Bottom