Browning .22 semi-auto circa 1970 made in Belgium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Father is considering selling his old .22 and has asked me to ask y'all what you think it might be worth. Please DO NOT pm me with offers as I am simply researching value for him. This is NOT a for sale posting.

Here's what I know about it. It's a Browning semi-auto .22lr purchased in 1970. It was made in Belgium. It has been well taken care of. My Father suspects it is 80-85% of condition. It's killed many a squirrel, coon and opossum... Round count is unknown, but probably fairly high...he's had this gun since he graduated high school.

I apologize in advance for not posting pictures. Despite having a $1200 camera and blackberry with a camera on it...my Father has still not figured out how to email me a photograph nor figured out photobucket... :shocked:

So, what should he be asking for it? Let me know if any more info is needed on the gun...I'll also try to walk him through emailing me a pic two.

Jamie

Marksman
Reaction score
I have two: #1) XXXXOU6 made in Belgium, I gave $450.00 plus another $100.00 for an additional barrel. Factory wood grips-a really nice pistol #2) XXXX2 U74 made in Belgium but with 'Browning Arms Company Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.O', I gave $350.00 Factory plastic grips. Both wonderfull shooting pistols.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, yes it is a rifle. Thank you for the links, ill call him later and get the serial number to look it up.

As for him wanting to sell a gun he's had for so long...I just shook my head and looked at him funny. His "reason" for selling is because it doesn't like to eat modern hollow points. He wants to get a 10-22 to replace it...

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Browning semi auto rifle. Had it since circa 1963. It is not as accurate or reliable as a 10-22, and it does not have that nice Ruger detachable magazine. Never had any particular trouble feeding modern hollow points, though. Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and lube job. Hmmmm......don't mean to offend here.

Maybe you could buy him a new, basic 10-22 and trade. Or not. I expect the Browning is worth more than a basic Ruger.

jej

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it doesn't like to eat modern hollow points.

My experience with the same vintage and model is that it does not like modern economy ammo, but still shoots just fine with the premium stuff.

Browning in Arnold, MO still repairs the model if that is needed.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like it needs a good cleaning and lube job. Hmmmm......don't mean to offend here.

No offense taken! It DID need a good cleaning, and he said it was completely dry...So no wonder it was jamming. It still doesn't like hollow points though...

I talked to him about it again today. I think he's made up his mind to sell it. If you see a guy who looks to be in his mid 50s with an old Browing .22 walking around the Wanamaker show that would be him...

I tried to talk him into joining up here, making his 20 posts, hang out for a month or so and sell it...but he said "that's what I have a son for" :rolleyes2

I suppose I could have him sell it to me for a nominal price and post it myself...but that feels to close to a "3rd party sale" for me and I'm not willing to risk incurring the wrath of the moderators and the "ban" button...

I've kinda grown fond of yall...This site is a great resource and a real community!

Latest posts

Top Bottom