Who is taking a kid turkey hunting this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The boy is fired up and we are ready to start another spring turkey season off with a bang! Be careful this weekend and remember why you are there moms and dads.

Attachments

• jtandturkey1.jpg
    jtandturkey1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 190

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm taking my nephew. I feel for the kid. I've taken him hunting several times and all we've had to show for it was a couple of squirrels.:rollingla Maybe we'll get lucky tomorrow and run into some turkeys. I had planned on driving out to Black Kettle, but plans have changed and we have to stay closer to home so I'm taking him to Cherokee PHA. I saw some turkey tracks there during deer season so I know they are there, we just have to find them. Haven't had time to do any scouting so like I said it will be blind luck if we see any.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm scouting in the morning and taking a special needs guy on Tuesday. My kids are all too big and my grandson is too little. My brother will be out on our lease with his daughter in the morning and my other lease partner decided to take his kids out west on some public ground. He said he put 24 to bed tonight and there were 8 toms in the group.

two-click

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was going to take my grandson ,but he came down with strep had to get a shot then broke out in a rash so we will try later

PawPaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Taking my oldest (5 yrold) this afternoon. His daddy just bought him a Rossi 410/22 combo and he is dying to hunt with it. My son will actually be with him and I will be calling and scouting with his 3 year old brother. Good luck to all and I thank all of you for spending time with our kids (our future).

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great job J.T.! How old is your son and give us some details about the hunt. We want a story. I scouted this morning and saw 5 good toms. Had 3 in shotgun range. Should be a slam dunk getting the young man I am taking a shot.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He is 9 going on 30. We hunted a place that I have never even seen before so I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it turned out. We had permission to hunt but had to park at the gate and walk in with access to about a half section of good ground in the Newcastle area.

From the time we got out and crossed the cattle guard we had birds gobbling on the roost so we just found the first decent looking spot we could in the dark and had a seat with him between my knees so I could whisper to him if I needed to. I offered a few soft yelps before fly down and thought we had one in the bag already only to listen and see a couple birds fly the exact other direction.

Turkey luck starts here:

We crossed a pretty thick creek and followed a cattle trail up the other side to sneek up on a wheat field and take a look and plan an ambush. While dumb ol' dad was in super stealth mode(6'4" 285lb stealth) I managed to bump my box call in my vest and it let out the most god awful putt you have ever heard to which the boys bird gobbled to our great surprise at about 75 yards away! We basically fall into a cedar tree for cover and as he is raising his shotgun to rest it on his knee I see the bird coming quick over a small rise in front of us. He closes to about 15 yards and I nudge the boy with my thigh and he dropped him stone dead.

Great morning to be in the woods and glad we had a lot of luck on our side today. Good luck on Tuesday everyone and PLEASE be careful out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom